View Full Version : T-Mobile Pulling iPAQ 6300 from Retail?

Jason Dunn
03-18-2005, 07:45 PM
We received this anonymous note today:<br /><br /><i>"Just received word that T Mobile has stopped selling this unit online and at their retail locations. Apparently they are not getting proper cooperation from HP to solve the huge amount of issues users are having with this device. Probably the threat of legal action from users and numerous complaints to the BBB and other local regulatory agencies played a part in their decision. It's about time they stopped sales of a device that does not perform as advertised."</i><br /><br />Can anyone confirm this by calling their local T-Mobile stores? I'd like to have a few confirmations before I'll say it's more than just a rumour. Granted, I certainly believe it's plausible given the track record of the 6300...<br /> :roll:

Birdman
03-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Just in time to coincide with an earlier post I read that Rogers is about to start carrying this thing in Canada.
Typical.

NLS
03-18-2005, 07:59 PM
hahahahahahaha (sorry couldn't help it)

why do my opinions get soooo concistently verified with this company (that with the two letter brand logo) I wonder

keep on

griffin911
03-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Spoke to local T-Mo store and was informed it was pulled on 3/17!!

Spoke to T-Mo customer care they hemmed and hawed and essentially said that if you were an existing customer you were screwed!

alabij
03-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Go figure! This is the shortest support for a PPCPE or even a phone in mobile history. This obvious proves just how crappy this thing is.

szamot
03-18-2005, 08:48 PM
I love this story. This, in my opinion, is a perfect way to reward sub standard mediocrity. It is about time some one took a stance against that heap of junk, and showed HP what their device is worth. I guess there will be a lot of it on eBay soon. Too bad for people who got sucked into buying it.

lorettaboy
03-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Since I was the one who posted the original story, I though I would give everybody an update to clarify T Mobiles intentions. User trobbins over at davesipaq spoke to a T Mobil rep and they had the following to say:

"T-Mobile is no longer selling the 6315 and has no plans to start selling it again" and that "The ROM update is still 2-3 months from being released".

ppctk
03-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Aaargh. My h6315 is SO FRUSTRATING. HP and T-Mobile are both losing me. Bad coverage, slow GPRS, undependable device.

I'm not even tempted to accpet the FREE Blackberry I can get with T-Mobile from United.

posprg
03-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I just called my T-Mobile rep and she did not know anything about pulling the units. In other cell phone news, Alltel has ordered a recall of all the newest models of Motorola phones for some unknown reason.

CrashX
03-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I was at my local T-Mo store this morning picking up a phone for mom and was talking to the sales rep that I've dealt with for over a year. Like me, he has a 6315 as well, and he told me that it was pulled temporarily. He and the other the sales reps in the local stores have been told it was pulled because they're getting ready to release the update for it, and that they don't want to sell any more units until the updated 6315 is on the shelves.

Now, I'm as skeptical about this information as everyone else, especially with T-Mo's track record, but at least this gives us another possible scenario, and maybe a glimmer of hope. (What can I say, I'm an optimist! :mrgreen: )

TheZodiac
03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
I was told last year by a rep that it was being replaced because of feedback from busines susers that the KB was just short of useless.

It it/was supposed to be replaced by another iPaq... which will probably equally suck. They (Tmo usa) should hold out for the MDA4 :)

firtol88
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Sad but somehow I figured they would Fvk me/us this way after the first two months without a fix for the phone issues. Sad that bussiness is done this way.

Damion Chaplin
03-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Did anyone else hear that loud sucking pop and feel a strong breeze? :wink:

Well, nature abhors a vacuum, so I must post.

It seems to me like HP realized their mistake, announced the release of a replacement unit, then asked the only carrier of it in the US to please pull it so they won't get anymore POd customers...

Or maybe TMo was tired of handling HPs tech support calls...

Either way it seems they're saving a lot of people a lot of frustration.
It's just too bad they orphaned a whole slew of users who were (for the most part) just trying to avoid buying a Treo...

Personally, I think HP ought to offer said group of users a deep discount on one of the new mobile messengers... But that's just MHO.

q-live
03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
well if they dont support it who out of 6315 owners is down for a LAW SUIT..... HP HAS BEEN MAKE GARBAGE STUFF FOR YEARS NOW AND THEY NEED TO BE TAUGHT A TOUGH LESSON......

charliemaul
03-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I am more upset being that I just sprung $500 for this phone 15 days ago (1 day over the 14 day limit to return it). My wife called T-Mo and they told her it was temporarily pulled also until the update is released (when!!???). We'll see, we'll see.

My first HP phone and my first account with T-mobile. I don't know what to think. :cry:

gorkon280
03-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Go figure! This is the shortest support for a PPCPE or even a phone in mobile history. This obvious proves just how crappy this thing is.

Doubt it. Verizon had my phone, the Audiovox CDM-9900 for only 1-2 months before they stopped selling it.

goofy166
03-19-2005, 02:21 AM
This is my second 6315, the first died. Other then having to reset it twice a day, a useless too small keyboard, and instablity when running software like SBP's Pocket Plus, its not a bad phone.

Anyone want to recomend a close GSM replacement?

goofy166
03-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Anyone want to recommend a replaement. I'm on my second 6315, and other than resetting it twice a day its not a bad phone.

wshwe
03-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Anyone want to recommend a replaement. I'm on my second 6315, and other than resetting it twice a day its not a bad phone.If the 6315 isn't a bad phone, why do you want a replacement?

Mick
03-19-2005, 04:20 AM
I was just on the phone to cancel my T-Mo account, due to having moved to a PPC-6601 with Sprint. My decision to go with Sprint was based in large part because T-Mo does not have and appears not to plan to have in the near future any Pocket PC Phone Edition, and the lack of progress in rolling out Edge, which was installed in my area long ago, but never activated (I did occasionally get some speeds--in the 70 to 80 kb range--on a GPRS card a few times that would seem to indicate Edge was being tested--and until a few months was able to stream internet radio without any problem).
One of the reasons I gave for my decision to cancel was that pulling the 6315 off the market, with no replacement in sight, indicated to me that T-Mobile was no longer competitive in providing data services. The cancellation rep tried to convince that they still have another pocket pc, called the Treo. When I pointed out that I was really more interested in a Windows Mobile device and Edge data speeds, her response was that T-Mobile should be upgrading their data system within no more than a year or two. After we both had a good chuckle, we completed the cancellation.
At one point I had been sufficiently interested in the 6315 to give it a thorough testing at a locat T-Mobile store, loading web pages alongside my Ipaq 2215 connected to T-Mobile internet3 using an Audiovox data cards. The results convinced me to wait for a speedier device--it appears that the wait for a better device from T-Mobile may be much longer than I thought.
Mick

szamot
03-19-2005, 05:29 AM
Did anyone else hear that loud sucking pop and feel a strong breeze? :wink:

Well, nature abhors a vacuum, so I must post.

It seems to me like HP realized their mistake, announced the release of a replacement unit, then asked the only carrier of it in the US to please pull it so they won't get anymore POd customers...

Or maybe TMo was tired of handling HPs tech support calls...

Either way it seems they're saving a lot of people a lot of frustration.
It's just too bad they orphaned a whole slew of users who were (for the most part) just trying to avoid buying a Treo...

Personally, I think HP ought to offer said group of users a deep discount on one of the new mobile messengers... But that's just MHO.

So you actually are assuming the the mobile messenger will be any better than the Heap of Poop you got now? Me thinks you are wrong.

Gex
03-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Well.. the Mobile Messenger is made by HTC... so there may be some hope.

Eriq Cook
03-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I too will now be leaving T-Mobile due to the fact that they offer NO other Pocket PC Phones. I really wanted the MDA III (currently available under T-Mobile Europe), but it looks like it will take a long time for them to get any new Pocket PC Phones.

I won't go with the Sprint version however because it is the only carrier that took Wi-Fi out of the unit (why? it's still the same price). The Cingular and Verizon versions of the MDA III both come with Wi-Fi.

DaleReeck
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, the 6365 hack patch running on the 6315 made the 6315 work much better - like it was supposed to in the first place. That patch has been out a few months. Now T-Mobile says that its still another 2-3 months for their version of it. Maybe if T-Mobile wouldn't have waited six months to deploy this patch, they wouldn't have had as many support problems and wouldn't have to pull it.

Since HP did their part and fixed a majority of, if not most of the problems of the phone, its on T-Mobile for all the problems with support they are having. Its tiem the phone companies realize that patches and firmware updates for their phones - and I mean ALL phones, not just PDA's - are not optional.

lapchinj
03-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Spoke to T-Mo customer care they hemmed and hawed and essentially said that if you were an existing customer you were screwed!
This is the most disterbing part when some model is taken off the shelf. Usually we can't turn the volume up enough for the manufacturer to take notice of the screwed customer(s) and do something about it beside just hide behind a rock and make like nothing is wrong.

Jeff-

SRALPH
03-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Wow, this announcement so soon after the 63xx showed up on HP Canada? Sure sucks being on the bleeding edge. :(

I hope Rogers has been testing this device. When my iPAQ 3850 pooched out I considered buying an unlocked 6315 in the US. But first I asked Rogers Support if it would work on their GSM network and they said no as it "is a 3G phone and the Rogers network isn't compatible" - what the...? Well, I guess their ignorance was really my blessing :)

I think I'll wait another year and see the state of the "Windows Mobile" based phone devices at that point.

ctmagnus
03-20-2005, 06:35 AM
HP Canada is releasing the 6320/25 for use on the Rogers network.

goofy166
03-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I am looking for a replacment for the 6315 because of the fact that its not a reliable phone. When I am in a rush and have to make a quick call often I need to reset it first. It forgets my speed dial settings all the time. I also think its just a bit too big for holding to the ear. And it becomes more unreliable when I install software I ilke. I'd appreciate any recomendations.

Terry
03-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I had the same problems from a Motorola MPX200...it now sits in a drawer and collects dust.

I think the problem is more the OS than the hardware. My Blackberry works fine as phone and PDA.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PPC, generally, but for a phone I use a Moto V60 and wireless e-mail my Blackberry. I use an iPod for music. I've all but given up Pocket PC.

mesposito2
03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
I am looking for a replacment for the 6315 because of the fact that its not a reliable phone. When I am in a rush and have to make a quick call often I need to reset it first. It forgets my speed dial settings all the time. I also think its just a bit too big for holding to the ear. And it becomes more unreliable when I install software I ilke. I'd appreciate any recomendations.

I had the 6315 since it came out. A couple of months ago I got rid of it and went with the HP 4700 and Motorola V600. It's a fantastic combo. Actually, using the phone as a bluetooth modem, it's faster than the 6315 was by itself. I highly recommend this combo for those that need a better PDA. If the 6315 was a great phone i would have kept it, but it was too unreliable with Bluetooth.

Mark

goofy166
03-21-2005, 02:12 AM
I like the HP 4700 but I questoin the Motorola v600. Have you read the reviews of the Motorola V600 on Amazon.com. Out of 116 reviews it got 3 out of 5 stars which is not very good. Some of the comments:

Terrible Phone
Very poorly designed
Bad design, nothing but dropped calls, never worked
Horrible Service and Crappy Phone
An "OK" Phone
V600 and T-Mobile: Almost Perfect
Not a very good phone

Mitch

NeoAxim
03-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I had all but given up on T-Mobile a few short weeks ago. Largely in part due to the fact that for the better part of the last 3 years I have been a devout PPC user. And PPC + T-Mobile = Much pain and misery with a healthy dash of disappointment mixed in.

But as I sit here today T-Mobile is still my service provider but PPC is no longer on my phone. That's right folks I crossed over to the dark side. I have very quickly become a devout Treo, and in turn Palm, user.

A friend handed me his unlocked Treo 600 from Cingular after he picked up the Treo 650.

Form factor, ease of use, reliability. The Treo has it all. It offers the best of the Blackberry and PPC worlds, of course sacrificing a bit from each platform, but in total providing a much more user friendly experience.

I miss PPC, but I don't miss ActiveStink, I don't miss multiple resets, I don't miss the bulk and above all I don't miss stopping by the T-Mobile website on a weekly basis and seeing that the most cutting edge PPC that T-Mobile offered was the abysmal 6315.

At this point I am anxiously waiting to see if the Treo and Windows Mobile OS will ever be allowed to coexist.

But for now make mine a Palm.*

*Sounds dirty I know

randyzon
03-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I can say that one of the units that I had worked flawlessly for about three months then it scrambled the memory on my SD card and went into the soft reset at will mode. That was 2 units ago. I recieved a replacement 6315 about three weeks ago that would not work either because it keeps locking up and the bluetooth would not initialize because of insufficient memory.

I believe this is the 4th one that I have gotten. I was on vacation so I called for another replacement on March 16. I got a call from Tmobile on Monday March 21 that the units were in backorder status and it would be at least 15 days for a shipment from HP. I was also told that I could keep the unit I have now and wait a month or until May for a complete software upgrade.

I questioned if it was a ROM upgrade and they said the ROM and all of the Windows software would be upgraded to solve my problem. I told them to send me a replacement unit anyway because they had been promising the ROM upgrade for last January and it never happened. sign me waiting but not holding my breath.

randyzon
03-23-2005, 11:52 PM
the replacement units are now shipped with a new battery and a new stylus......and you don't have to return anything but the device.

still breathing

rprata
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
My thoughts on this whole thing:

I purchased the h6315 from T-Mobile the evening before it was officially released. I went into a T-Mobile company-owned store and begged the manager to sell me one; he did. That unit was GREAT for about 3 weeks, and as I started to add software to it, it started getting slower and slower. Then, it stopped recognizing my SD card. Even after a backup. But I digress; T-Mobile replaced it for me. The 2nd unit was a lot faster (or, so I thought) and less buggy (again, or so I thought). I replaced it a 2nd time with a 3rd unit, didn't open the 3rd replacement, off to eBay it went. I then purchased an iMate PDA2K at a premium, and put my T-Mobile SIM card in it. I'll stay away from Sprint as long as I can. Verizon too, except for the EVDO.

randyzon
03-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I finally gave in :idea: and updated my ROM with the modified code. I used the set 1 and the GUI looks like original except for the new 1.00.38 version on the reset screen.

I was surprised that the device acted very weirdly after the install. It hiccuped several times. It locked up, I reset it. It would not dial out or receive calls, I reset it. I got the phone to work then finally, it erased all of the SD card and I lost all of my data. Fortunately, I followed the instructions and backed up everything before I started the install.

I formatted the SD card then reinstalled all of the programs, one at a time. So far, no lockups. 0X

digital843
03-25-2005, 10:18 PM
There are a number of contradictory reports on the 6315 in chatrooms all over the Web e.g. the ROM update is due in Apr/May to not due for months. There have been reports of T-Mobile(or was it HP) offering a trade in for several other pda s such as Treo600 (sure, now the 650 is out).

There are also reports of HP coming out with the 6500 and 6700 which seems more than speculation. I would not take a T-Mobile salesman's comments on the ROM, etc as gospel. I doubt they know any more than we do.

In any case, I have a contract with T-Mobile. How can I buy a 6500 and go to Cingular which it is said will be the only company offering service because they are the only company with EDGE which the 6500 is supposed to have.

h6315user
04-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Update and phone available from T-Mobile

People's experiences so far, as reported on
another topic on this site (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,38881&amp;/6315_rom_update_now_available!.htm).

Is anyone other than me NOT having problems with the h6315? I do occasionally have to soft-reset, but hey, this is Windows (non 2K/XP) we're talking about. (Not that that should be an excuse, but come on, is it really a surprise?)

Incidentally, I'm able to go for weeks without soft-reset if I close apps I'm not using (soft keyboard, ctrl+q works for most). Also, for IE it's a good idea to periodically clear temporary Internet files, and maybe cookies as well, more often for relatively heavy use. (Tools menu | Options)

If the device had more main RAM, closing apps would proably be unnecessary.

h6315user
04-01-2005, 12:42 AM
As I write this (5:40 PM CT), the phone isgone from T-Mobile site again, but it was there just a few minutes ago. &lt;sigh>

h6315user
04-01-2005, 08:48 PM
It's back on the TMobile site, for now anyway.

I hope T-Mobile continues to support the h6315, thus keeping pressure on HP.