View Full Version : Why can't my next PPC look like the PSP??

humayunl
03-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Has anyone seen the PSP??

It has to be one of the coolest looking pieces of portable hardware I have EVER seen!! I must say, I am very impressed with sony.

Now I just wish they borrow a LOT of ideas from the PSP when they eventually decide to make a WM based Pocket PC.

I guess they cant make the PPC as large as the PSP, it would go against the portability factor (although a large beautiful sharp and crystal clear widescreen would be quite amazing). But other than size, in terms of robustness, sleek design, ergonomics and every other way.. its just flawless.

I'm sorry if I sound a little out of it but I just held the PSP in my hands and I'm just kinda speechless right now. I wasn't expecting it to be that cool.

My little silver Imate sitting next to it looked so 80s :(

I'm not a gamer (at all)... never really have been. never had a PS2 or an XBox.. but i think i'm gonna get this baby. I can't not have it. And I really DID enjoy project gotham and dead or alive and NFS underground and Halo when i played them on the (borrowed for a test drive) XBox last month.. yes i did! Ok good. now i'm justified the purchase to myself :) hehehe

I Just dont like the whole proprietary UMD idea... i would love to have been able to burn my own videos and music on UMDs.. well there's hope on tha front.

I am not sure why they didnt put Bluetooth on it... i guess they were trying their best to keep the cost as low as possible so they could compete with nintendo.

Anyone else have similar/dis-similar feelings about the PSP... and the idea of having a similary cool PPC from sony (or anyone for that matter) ?

surur
03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
In case anyone else have not seen it.

http://www.pangyilu.02835.com/PSP.jpg

Surur

humayunl
03-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Surur. I shoulda thought of that myself :)

So what are your thoughts?

PDANEWBIE
03-18-2005, 02:53 PM
The picture didn't come up with me so I put up a link to a page with the picture -

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx

As far as its graphics yes its wonderful but I think the main thing is you need alot more integration from Bluetooth to being able to run standard PPC software.

Actually I had an idea for a PPC a few months ago that I think would be wonderful have a PPC with the standard D-pad and 4 buttons on it on one side (d Pad robust for gaming) have a slot for the SD and CF on either side of the unit have it bluetooth and wifi enabled and then on the top portion have it where you can "snap on" a secondary piece that would the the buttons for gaming controls and thus it would be used in landscape mode.

Only 2 drawbacks I see to this idea. One the number of PPC games that are not in landscape mode and secondly its another component you have to cary with you.

As far as a large screen I have never had a problem with a bigger screen size thought I know some people do have problems with that.

Don't Panic!
03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Why? Because Pocket PC's are marketed as Business Tools not Consumer devices. That's my number one gripe with MS's plan for these devices.

Kati Compton
03-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Why? Because Pocket PC's are marketed as Business Tools not Consumer devices. That's my number one gripe with MS's plan for these devices.

So, the problem is that when they target one market, they leave out the other. Let's say that they decided to target the consumer market. Well, really, PDAs just aren't robust enough for most kids, so that segment is out. And they're quite expensive... So they would have to be super-exciting. I'm not sure that starting from the existing platform if they could get the general non-techie "wow" factor as high as the PSP...

surur
03-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Which is why this will probably fail.

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/files/article008/gametrac3.jpg

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7698869181.html

Surur

Don't Panic!
03-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Which is why this will probably fail.

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/files/article008/gametrac3.jpg

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7698869181.html

Surur

Actually I think the Gizmondo will do well. It's just that's it's not a Pocket PC.

The real trouble is still the target market for Pocket PC which is "The Enterprise". Busy executives don't want gameboys in there pocket. If the Gizmondo was running WM2005 and had a CF and SD/MMC slot, VGA Screen, Hot Processor, Bluetooth and wifi iI personally would get one in a heartbeat. The key word there being one. Somehow a doubt a business would order say 50 for all there sales staff.

Magallanes
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Also don't forget it's a POCKET PC, so it must have portrait form not landscape and it must fit in a pocket and usually you can use one hand to see the today.

IpaqMan2
03-20-2005, 06:14 AM

So, the problem is that when they target one market, they leave out the other. Let's say that they decided to target the consumer market. Well, really, PDAs just aren't robust enough for most kids, so that segment is out. And they're quite expensive... So they would have to be super-exciting. I'm not sure that starting from the existing platform if they could get the general non-techie "wow" factor as high as the PSP...

Oddly enough, my entire job is based around Pocket PCs being used as a business platform, YET this is personally my biggest complaint about the Pocket PCs platform entirely by Microsoft and the OEMs who manufacture them.

Why only push the Windows mobile platform in ONE market segment only? I mean I understand from a business move why many companies focus in the business segment first (much like how PCs and laptops were back in their early days), but eventually many of these companies also start focusing products towards the consumers as well. Well why not the Pocket PC platform? I mean I think it's understood by most businesses who need a portable device that Pocket PCs have performed well in this area, but why haven't any other OEMs or even Microsoft them selves give the nudge needed to push these things for consumers as well. There is no other time that I am aware of my life where entertainment has been such big business. Look at Apple with their iPod playing music (which single handedly turn the company into a profit machine unlike anything they've seen in over a decade), Nintendo and Sony with portable gaming devices, and other companies with Personal Video Players all cashing in from sales, yet the Windows Mobile platform can do all that and More, still it's capabilities is being ignored outside the business segment.

Again.. these are just my thoughts. I have always enjoyed products for the consumer and hope to see the Pocket PCs expand enough to those areas as well. I can see students using these as entertainment devices if designed with that in mind as well as traditional PDAs. I can also see these devices expanding into the gaming world for younger users 10 times better than anything we have now. I mean the OS is already there... the hard part is already done. Now someone be bold a design one with consumer needs in mind at a reasonable price.

murph
03-21-2005, 07:37 AM
not to hijack this thread, but...does anyone know the specifics about the PSP's video format? i know it is based on MPEG4, what i am wondering is if there is a PocketPC application that would play this same format?

i have several video clips which i converted using Windows Media Encoder into WMA's to play on my PPC. i am looking to switch over to this MPEG4 format so i can play my videos on either PPC or PSP.

i can't wait for thursday - i already pre-paid for PSP, Wipeout Pure, Tiger Woods, and THUG2 Remix.

humayunl
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I could be wrong but i THINK beta player can play MP4.. or maybe there's a codec you can download for it tplay it...

I also can't wait for the PSP... i am sure there will be lots of application that people will develop for it tha twill allow web browsing, chatting and other productivity stuff.. i already saw a nice keyboard for it which also turns into a screen protector.

which brings me back to my original point.. someone NEEDS to (and i hope sony is the first to do this) make a cool looking Pocket PC for the consumer market... i have had a ppc for over 3 years... and i'm not using it for any enterprise use. its fully personal and i cant live without it.