View Full Version : How do I "clone" drafts in Inbox?

mixebug
03-18-2005, 03:40 AM
I have a standardized email that I send to many clients for promotional purposes. When I compose the message in Pocket Inbox on my Pocket PC, tapping "send" sends it to "outbox" to await my next connection. I would like to be able to retain a copy of the message so that all I need to do to address it to the next client is drop in the new "to" name...and so on for as many as I need.

I haven't found a way to make Pocket Inbox do this. I can move the same message endlessly back and forth between "drafts" and "outbox", but I can't make a duplicate. The only way I've found to clone the message is by pasting the text in and re-entering all the "to" and "subject" info for each one...a bit laborious when it seems like there ought to be a way to just enter each new name and send it to "outbox" in turn.

Am I missing a way to do this?

Menneisyys
03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a standardized email that I send to many clients for promotional purposes. When I compose the message in Pocket Inbox on my Pocket PC, tapping "send" sends it to "outbox" to await my next connection. I would like to be able to retain a copy of the message so that all I need to do to address it to the next client is drop in the new "to" name...and so on for as many as I need.

I haven't found a way to make Pocket Inbox do this. I can move the same message endlessly back and forth between "drafts" and "outbox", but I can't make a duplicate. The only way I've found to clone the message is by pasting the text in and re-entering all the "to" and "subject" info for each one...a bit laborious when it seems like there ought to be a way to just enter each new name and send it to "outbox" in turn.

Am I missing a way to do this?

With some (advanced) WinCE.NET database hacking, it's certainly possible to programmatically make one's life much easier.

When you create a Draft, a WinCE.NET database (from now on: DB) entry is created. It will be placed in a separate database; on my test system, it's named fldr1003a8e; on yours, it may be different. A new database record will be created for the headers each Draft entry; and, in addition, in \Windows\Messaging, a new file will be created for the body of the mail.

Now, your task is the following: find a WinCE system database tool that supports CSV (or any kind of textual) import. Unfortunately, Pocket dbExplorer, my favourite editor won't do - it only exports into CSV, but doesn't import. Unfortunately, I can't really do any extensive searching now - still have the flu...

Export an item from the database to the CSV and, with simple copy and paste, multiply it. This will make sure all the duplicated mail headers will refer to the same mail body, with exactly the same headers. Reimport the text back to your database and voilá - you have have a lot of them :)

I've written a lot on how WinCE stores mails internally at http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=2918 - feel free to consult it if you want to know more on the subject and why it's working.

Please tell us if you have problems/further questions.