View Full Version : Left Handed PPC user

MonkeyMera
03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a HP 2200 series PPC with Mobile windows 2003, im also left handed and find it increasingly annoying when reading some text etc on my PPC as to scroll down the page i have to cover the ppc with my hand, i cant just quickly scan through a doc as right handed people do whilst scrolling down, i know i could just use the joystick thing at the bottom, but sometimes its not practical, is there a patch that will allow me to make my PPC left handed user friendly?? ive tried looking but cant find anything of use.

Many thanks

monkey

mv
03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
No there is not. I have emailed MS a few times about that, and about a year ago some MS programmer told me "Great idea. Iīm left handed too, and experience the same frustation"

But there is no way, AFAIK, the entire OS is designed for right handed people. There is not even a way to put some controls on the right side (ask Alex Kac, the pocket informant developer, how many time left handed users asked him for a "rotated" PI version...

I donīt know whatīs wrong with this people, why canīt we use the PPC with one hand, for example? thatīs the great showstopper of pocket pc phones. And thatīs why some ppc users are buying treos... there is a hack for left handed people in palm os.

Common billy, we the left handed are smarter!! :lol: :lol: [/quote]

Menneisyys
03-17-2005, 04:02 PM
is there a patch that will allow me to make my PPC left handed user friendly?? ive tried looking but cant find anything of use.

There have been several threads on this subject, here on PPCT too. Unfortunately, left-handed support (scrollbars at the right place etc) must be explicitly coded in programs. With generic, operating system-level settings/hacks, it's impossible to move scrollbars to the other edge of the screen.

MonkeyMera
03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply im glad im not on my own with this, it weird that software for the WM2003 cant allow the changing of side for the scroll bar, cos from win 3.11 you can change the buttons of the mouse and they become standard for every program install there after so why can a similar thing happen on the ppc???

Menneisyys
03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the reply im glad im not on my own with this, it weird that software for the WM2003 cant allow the changing of side for the scroll bar, cos from win 3.11 you can change the buttons of the mouse and they become standard for every program install there after so why can a similar thing happen on the ppc???

Because the WinCE operating system is much 'dumber' than even Win3.11 on purpose - to save on hardware requirements and the memory footprint.

seanworks925
03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
You guy are too funny you have two hands try to use both :devilboy:

mv
03-17-2005, 11:12 PM
You guy are too funny you have two hands try to use both :devilboy:

Did you register just to make a very bad joke? :lol:

zilla31
03-21-2005, 02:58 PM
yeah it amazes me more developers don't code this left handed stuff in... pocketbreeze and wordlogic are both godsends w/ their left-handed abilities... but hard to find any of my other programs that are willing to help me out in that department :)

alnaizi
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
heyyy im left handed to and i have found a way to get rid of all that frustration.

you might not like the solution but i think its the best way.

learn to use your right hand for your pocketpc. i know it seems hard but it isnt it only took me 2 weeks and now i favor my right hand over my left hand to using a pocketpc.

there was a way to use your right hand easily but it may be bad for your poket pc. you can use your nails. but i consider that cheating :P

BUMP THAT
03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
8O Wow I never knew that Left Handed people would have a problem MS has been out for so long and still not enhancement for a small thing like this. Simply Amazing. I use Both hands so I should be fine. But I feel for those who are not. MS just probably thinks that most L handed ppl can make a switch of using the right for PPC since most Left Handers can right w/their Right w/no problem.

MonkeyMera
03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Ive done a bit of research and 1 in 10 are left handed so that makes about 620,000 people in the uk alone that are left handed, thats alot of people bill gates to ignore. it just shows that microsoft dont worry about the little man just the mass market, i understand that i can be hard to change something existing but when the software stared it couldnt of been that hard to add it in the programming, could it??

MonkeyMera
03-23-2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/images/intelligentresearch.gif

Tye
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm left-handed. I just deal with it. Seriously, is it really *that* bad?

There's very little I can't do because I'm left handed. Some things might take a bit of adapting but they've never been deal breakers. The one exception I can think of is boomerangs. You're pretty much stuck--hand specific--if you want to throw those. I was born different from 90% of the population. Oh well, it's not life threatening.

Anyway, you might not like me saying this, but just adapt. If we all make exceptions and special conditions for *everyone* we'd never get anywhere.
Before MS adds lefthanded support, I'd much rather they fix the PPC resource issues, task manager, and close button.

Thanks for listening.
-Tye

P.S.
I agree with you on some levels. I love WordLogic and their support of lefties (and I use it in lefty mode). Regardless, I don't know if I'd want to bloat and overhead of having every program having that support. Thanks again.

MonkeyMera
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
i see your point and agree, I have over come and adapted but i feel in this day and age where nearly everything can be adapted to suite everyones personal preferences/needs etc that microsoft could leave out something like this, and or ingore the issue. microsoft allows customisation of alot of the setting on WM and XP so why not the side of the scroll bars? i not winging (eventhough it sounds like it) i just put this up for discussion and to see what other peoples thoughts are and IF there are any fixes/plugins to make the use more comfirtable for me.

Why should i have to learn a new way of working with a product cos Microsoft didnt put this feature in?

if some one decided that all taps for your sink should turn the other way you'd complain, or a car that you want has the clutch pedal and the accelerator pedal the other way round you'd complain, in my eye its the same thing.