View Full Version : HP Canada Unveils the hp h6320 with Windows Mobile 2003 SE...or Not

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 01:10 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hp.ca/products/static/ipaq/' target='_blank'>http://www.hp.ca/products/static/ipaq/</a><br /><br /></div>HP.ca has put up the h6320/h6325 (no camera/camera) on their Web site, and the devices appear identical to earlier 6300 versions, with the exception of the new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition operating system. They are priced at $729/$749 CND respectively. It makes me wonder, since the hardware is the same, will hp be offering current 6300 series owners an OS upgrade? Given HP's track record as of late, which used to be quite stellar, I don't think so. I'd love to be wrong however!<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> Looks like it's a false alarm. Looking <a href="http://www.hp.ca/products/static/ipaq/h6320/specs.php">at the specifications page</a>, it says it's "Windows Mobile™ 2003 software - Premium with Phone Edition", not Second Edition. So it looks like one of the two is wrong, and I suspect it's the front page listing it as as Second Edition device. &lt;sigh> :?

goofy166
03-17-2005, 01:33 AM
If you try and order it they only will ship to locations in Canada. I want one!

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 01:37 AM
If you try and order it they only will ship to locations in Canada. I want one!

I'd have to think that HP.com will be updating their site very soon now...

Paragon
03-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Ha! I just read this and thought it said HP *Canada* actually had something before HP USA instead of the usual 6month delay. I'm sure I must have read it wrong. ;)

bcries
03-17-2005, 02:34 AM
That's a little taste of what Canadians get most of the time. With tech products, most are introduced in the U.S. first... some are never even offered by Canadian subsidiaries. With eBay, we often pay a huge customs fee when all the American sellers decide to ship with UPS :(

The Toshiba e830 and now this are rare exceptions to the general rule - despite "free trade", Canadians are not just in another state when it comes to commodity purchases.

But sure, go make war with the world, anger them all, and build a space shield for the missiles they'll fire back at you. We'll just be up here, wondering where all our water went (Evian?), dying from the nuclear fallout...
KIDDING. :P

jerboa
03-17-2005, 03:21 AM
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but the h6320 and h6325 actually come with Windows Mobile™ 2003 software - Premium with Phone Edition rather than SE as indicated on www.hp.ca.

Specs with Phone Edition can be found on the shopping site or in the specs of the individual models...

Sorry! :(

tsaxton
03-17-2005, 03:41 AM
The web page the article links to:

http://www.hp.ca/products/static/ipaq/

Says it's "2003 Second Edition". But if you click on the picture of the h6325 and follow the links to the specification:

http://www.hp.ca/products/static/ipaq/h6325/specs.php

There it says "Windows Mobile™ 2003 software - Premium with Phone Edition"

According to the FAQs:

Q . What is the difference between the HP iPAQ h6315, h6320 and h6325/h6320 products?
The HP iPAQ h6315 Pocket PC is certified to work on T-Mobiles service network in the US ONLY. The HP iPAQ h6325 and h6320are certified to work on Roger’s Wireless service network. The h6325 includes an integrated camera where the h6320 does not.

Looks to me like there was just a typo on the comparison page, and that it has the same old boring version of the OS as the 6315/6340/6365/etc. It probably just has its own distinct model number because it's customized for Roger's Wireless.

Tyler.

jerboa
03-17-2005, 03:51 AM
Looks to me like there was just a typo on the comparison page, and that it has the same old boring version of the OS as the 6315/6340/6365/etc. It probably just has its own distinct model number because it's customized for Roger's Wireless.

Unfortunately, you're exactly right!

Now, I'd be curious to know if it comes with the new ROM or the older one.

Paragon
03-17-2005, 04:08 AM

Tyler.

Ok, this makes a lot of sense now, since HP stated before the 6300 was released that they would not be offering an SE upgrade for it. The clincher is that Rogers are finally going to officially announce this device...after it has been on the market for months, and is about to be replaced by a newer model....a much more normal scenario. ;)

Dave

ChunkyMonkey
03-17-2005, 04:31 AM
That's a little taste of what Canadians get most of the time. With tech products, most are introduced in the U.S. first... some are never even offered by Canadian subsidiaries. With eBay, we often pay a huge customs fee when all the American sellers decide to ship with UPS :(

The Toshiba e830 and now this are rare exceptions to the general rule - despite "free trade", Canadians are not just in another state when it comes to commodity purchases.

But sure, go make war with the world, anger them all, and build a space shield for the missiles they'll fire back at you. We'll just be up here, wondering where all our water went (Evian?), dying from the nuclear fallout...
KIDDING. :P

Funny...as an American, most of us feel that Europe and Asia gets all the cool technology first. 3/4 of the cool stuff over in Japan never even makes it over to the USA.

noel_foster
03-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Not wanting to get into arguments over specs, but it is still better than the SX56 Rogers offered. Also, my sales rep says it will not be offered through Rogers till 2nd or 3rd quarter. Anything can happen between now and then.

q-live
03-17-2005, 05:47 AM
WHAO WHAO WWHHHAAAOOOOOOOO..... IS IT JUST ME OR DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE WHATS WRONG WIT THIS PICTURE?????? HOW THE HELL YOU GONNA BRING OUT A NEW PHONE (WITH SECOND EDITION AT THAT) AND YOUR FIRST PHONE (6315) STILL HAS FFFFFF BUGS THAT YOU HAVENT FIXED AND WE DONT EVEN HAVE SECOND EDITION........ THIS IS BBBUUUULLLLLLSSSHHHHHHHHHH ......... I GOT TO LEAVE TMOBILE !!!!!! THIS IS FFFFF CRAZY AS HELL :devilboy: :devilboy: :( :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :!: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 07:21 AM
WHAO WHAO WWHHHAAAOOOOOOOO...

Your prozac is in the mail sir - I suggest a triple dose the first week. 8O

DaleReeck
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
The 6300 series wasn't a bad idea, but it seems liked HP didn't care much about it once released. If you applied the "unofficial" 6365 upgrade to it, it was very stable and worked well. It had some nice features too, like pressing and holding the power button to get a menu of useful things like profiles and screen off.

But the lack of an SE update and HP/T-Mobile's procrastination in getting that 6365 ROM update to the 6315's made the phone end up with a fate it probably didn't deserve.

But one thing bugged me about it though, even after the 6365 patch. The phone audio still produced a ton of static. Regualr audio through the speaker sounded fine. But phone calls had a very annoying hiss. If you put the thing in speakerphone mode and put your ear near the back speaker, the hiss was overwhelming. In contrast, my PDA2K is crystal clear.

Paragon
03-17-2005, 03:28 PM
WHAO WHAO WWHHHAAAOOOOOOOO...

Your prozac is in the mail sir - I suggest a triple dose the first week. 8O

:lol: I think it's the NHL strike.

weisco
03-17-2005, 03:47 PM
As a current owner of the H6315, I would like to caution those excited about HP's newest model.

Even with the update, my H6315 is QUITE BUGGY! Yesterday I had to soft reset 3 times! To give one an idea of my usage, it is primarily a telephone. I use bluetooth earpiece extensively (why I upgraded??? from my T-Mobile Pocket PC). I also have many contacts (over 1000) in my database. Finally, I use Audible. On a much more limited basis, I listen to MP3's, WiFi (which I feel works horridly on this device), GPRS (which I have never been able to use as a bluetooth modem w/my laptop properly), and an HP calculator emulator.

Before you spend your money on the newest HP offering, ask other HP users how often their phones crash, going immediately to voice mail with less than one full ring (gotta love that when you're waiting for an important call), getting call waiting and having the phone drop both calls before you decide whether to answer the second call, having bluetooth stop functioning for no reason... One of my friends is waiting for his fourth 6315 his 3rd was DOA!--I am only on my second (but ready to switch to another if his fourth works better than my 6315.

The odd thing is I still use the HP. I have a V600 that I switch my sim card to when I don't want to carry a brick around (not the coolest fashion statement). The V600 works perfectly--no bluetooth, answering, or call issues. It is NOT T-Mobiles network--I'm happy with that, it is the HP6315.

If T-Mobile USA introduces the Magician or even the Treo 650 I will seriously consider switching phones, even after paying over $500 for the lovely 6315 less than a year ago.

If you have another PocketPCPhone option, think about is seriously. The HP offers great features, but has major issues with proper implementation (at least this users experience).

NLS
03-17-2005, 11:44 PM
hehehehe

(sorry)

iPAQ_ace
03-23-2005, 03:18 PM
It probably just has its own distinct model number because it's customized for Roger's Wireless.

The distinct model number does not necessarily mean anything. The T-Mobile model is using a T-Mobile/HP ROM. The H632x is not using a Rogers/HP ROM - from what I have been told it is just like the H6340, an unlocked version with no software customization done on Rogers' part.

rombo
03-24-2005, 03:46 PM
- Contrary to my other postings, my Rogers rep has now advised that the Siemens SX66 is not likely to be released by Rogers.
- The more likely scenario is that it will be 'tested' by Rogers to ensure compatibility with their network, but will not be sold/marketed by them.
- So you'll have to buy it unlocked somewhere elase to use it on Rogers.
- This appears to be strictly a marketing decision, i.e. why offer both the h6325 and SX66 if they are competing products?
- Apparently Rogers was very disappointed with their SX56 experience, and doesn't want to get burned again. Price point was mentioned as the key to the low uptake of the SX56.
- I'm disappointed by their decision, but am eagerly awaiting my h6325 ;-)

Rombo in Toronto
History: RexPro, Casio E-100, iPaq 3610, iPaq 3970.

Jeff Rutledge
03-25-2005, 03:22 AM
- Apparently Rogers was very disappointed with their SX56 experience

Possibly because Rogers took over a year to bring it out. By the time you could get it from Rogers, it was ancient. Rogers needs to get ahead of the curve for a change, instead of miles behind.

(but I'm not bitter...) ;)

Paragon
03-25-2005, 03:52 AM
- This appears to be strictly a marketing decision, i.e. why offer both the h6325 and SX66 if they are competing products?

Oh my Gawd! This just proves that Rogers have been standing too close to their own microwave towers. :crazyeyes: On almost the very day that T-Mobile pulls it for being a pile of usless doodoo, Rogers proudly announces it's availability over the extremely successful Blue Angel. I'll bet if you drive your Edsel in they will give you a free "tigers tail" to hang from you mirror, thinking it's the newest fad.

I'm sorry, I'm just getting tired of the complete stupidity of Canadian carriers...there seems to be no end to it in sight. :(

Dave