View Full Version : Windows Mobile Devices With Blackberry Technology

Ed Hansberry
03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.blackberry.com/news/press/2005/pr-14_03_2005-03.shtml">http://www.blackberry.com/news/press/2005/pr-14_03_2005-03.shtml</a><br /><br /><i>"High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC) and Research In Motion today announced plans to expand distribution of BlackBerry® Connect™ on Windows Mobile-based devices from HTC to carriers around the world. Carriers will soon have access to a wider variety of Windows Mobile-based HTC devices with BlackBerry Connect. In addition to previously announced models from HTC, new initiatives will include the deployment of BlackBerry Connect on HTC’s current generation of keyboard-based devices and will quickly expand to a wider deployment of Windows Mobile-based HTC devices."</i><br /><br />HTC of course is one of the leading manufacturers for Pocket PCs and Smartphones, making many popular devices like the XDA III and iPAQ line. Integrating the Blackberry email service into the device will allow push emails to become a reality.

ikesler
03-16-2005, 08:42 PM
oh happy day!
i reeally want this on my Sprint 6601!

cmorris
03-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Another interesting note is that MS will soon support proper push e-mail (no SMS required) between Exchange 2003 SP2 and Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto).

http://www.redcomm.com/sample/DOMIS/update/2005/03mar/0305umoer.htm

The Blackberry news is still important for all those companies that have already invested in Blackberry though.

thunderck
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Or Good can do push now and better, much better. IMHO

victore
03-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Any word if BlackBerry Connect will be available as a seperate product, independent of HTC?

surur
03-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Will this include all the impressive security and manageability features of the normal blackberry unit? If so, will this lead to lack integration problems e.g. with attachments and mail messages?

Surur

ikesler
03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
My problem is that my company does not use an exchange server....... so blackberry connect would only work for me IF they also make the 'internet' edition as well. I have a bunch of coworkers that use it with their Berrys and love it..... I would love that functionality or the Good functionality but don't want to spend $1000 for it..........

Kash76
03-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Sounds like another rim job from RIM.

They announced BB connect for the Treo over a year ago. According to both my Palm and RIM reps it's just vaporware so far. RIM seems to like to announce this stuff and never come through. I'm not holding my breath.

JeffV
03-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Seems pretty legit. I think it's O2 that's already offering Blackberry Connect on its XDA II model, with comments on their page that the XDA IIs, IIi and mini will be supported this spring.

The million dollar question for me is if the XDA IIs is the same device as the PDA2k, can one get a PDA2K and flash it with the O2 rom that includes the Blackberry Connect, and then expect to have a working product?

Paundskumm
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my XDA IIs to be supported. One of the reasons I upgraded to the IIs from my old XDA II was the keyboard for blackberry. I've spent the last three months pooh poohing all my colleagues with their oh-so-clunky blackberries saying they should just use a cooler XDA IIs but now I'm the one looking like an idiot :oops:

TMAN
03-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Do these Windows Mobile push email solutions require server side installs? I am currently using Chatter Email on a Treo 600 which does not require any server side install. Just install the client on the Treo and away you go. I just picked up a Sprint 6600 after a year and a half hiatus with Palm and am looking for the same functionality.

cdrake
04-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Will Blackberry Connect on Windows Mobile support PIN messages to other blackberry devices? This is a critical feature. My company is blackberry and utilizes PIN. I would like to use windows mobile, but need PIN send/receive capability...