View Full Version : Wi-Bro: New Wireless 3.5G Standard

Jonathon Watkins
03-15-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21751' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21751</a><br /><br /></div><i>"[At CBIT] . . . Samsung casually announced it was rolling out something called Wi-Bro in June 2006. Another 3.5G technology had suddenly been sprung upon us. Yes, wi-Bro (Wireless BROadband) will go head on against the likes of Wi-Max (and OFDM for that matter). It aims to offer susbscribers a true 50 Mbit/s high speed wireless Internet connexion. Plus it will work even when you're travelling at speeds up to 60 Kph. And it works at 2.3 GHz - which is exactly where stuff like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi sit at the moment."</i><br /><br />The Inquirer report that three Korean operators are going to be using this new wireless standard and that testing will start soon in the US and Japan. Apparently this is not a 4G technology, as that designation is reserved for wireless technologies that at least offer 100Mbs. It's no surprise that the Inq titled their article "Oh no. Another 3.5G technology called Wi-Bro". Remember the old quote about standards? They are great because there's so many to choose from. :-/

Sven Johannsen
03-15-2005, 03:47 PM
" . . . Plus it will work even when you're travelling at speeds up to 60 Kph...."

So in Europe it'll only work if you are parked? Generally if you are not parked you are doing better than 30Kph ;)

surur
03-15-2005, 05:34 PM
" . . . Plus it will work even when you're travelling at speeds up to 60 Kph...."

So in Europe it'll only work if you are parked? Generally if you are not parked you are doing better than 30Kph ;)

The train maybe, but the M25 often runs at 10 miles per hours for hours on end :(

Surur

mr_Ray
03-15-2005, 07:27 PM

Still, even if it's limited to 60kph it beats having that 50 mile phone cable hanging out of your car window, leading back to your house. :mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Ok, I'll make the obvious joke: Why, Bro? &lt;rimshot>

I love multiple standards that no one can agree on and never get implemented. Choices are fine and dandy, but "letting the market decide" is a rather painful way of getting things done. Where's communism when you need it? :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
03-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Choices are fine and dandy, but "letting the market decide" is a rather painful way of getting things done. Where's communism when you need it? :wink:

Well, it obviously needn't be that extreme. Here in Europe, standardising on GSM worked out well for us. :wink: I do like the major players agreeing on decent standards so there's real competition and yet still interoperability. :)

ADBrown
03-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Where's communism when you need it?

I'd rather have the IEEE. With all these different standards, it's going to be nearly impossible to build up any significant coverage. You have to invest once each for EVDO, UMTS, WiMax, Flarion, HSDPA, and a half dozen others. It becomes impractical. Hence the need for the IEEE--one well-designed standard, intercompatible so that no coverage is wasted. A kind of GSM for wireless broadband.

I don't know about the free market versus communism, but they already have the Iron Fist thing going on in Pennsylvania. When the city of Philly wanted to cover its entire expanse with free or cheap WiFi, Verizon bought a state law that bans municipalities from offering telecom services. "Competition is good, so long as we're the only ones competing." All the more reason we need more options in wireless broadband, but NOT ones locked to an individual carrier or company.

Fuego
03-21-2005, 01:38 AM
Hear, hear. So the mobile operators over-paid by some silly money for 3G licenses in the UK. They think the stupid consumer is going to pick-up that cost and make them some profit?

If 3.5G makes 3G obsolete and those funny money licenses worthless trash fodder, then bring it on, I say.

Then again, the stupid consumer may well not disappoint them. We have a lot of them over here that let fashion drive their consumer habits.