View Full Version : So how much have you spent on software?

dochall
03-15-2005, 01:16 AM
I recently had a hard reset and in looking for a couple of registration codes that I had not managed to get into Codewallet I started looking at my handango purchases. I didn't realise how much I had purchased and so that go me thinking about how I have spent in total.

I reckon I have spend around $850 on software alone for my ppc addiction. I keep remembering other software that I got from the manufacturers sites so that figure has crept up. Bloomin heck 8O

So how much have you spent of software which runs on the PPC (so not including say dev tools which are running on your desktop)?

SteveHoward999
03-15-2005, 02:33 AM
I was surprised to learn that in 3 years of PDA use I have spent only $215 at Handango.

I don't **think** I have bought software from anywhere else, but I know I have spent quite a lot on hardware accessories too, but a quick search around indicates about $800.

Not as much as I had feared, provided I ignore the PDA purchases themselves ;-)

buckyg
03-15-2005, 02:49 AM
I started doing the same thing dochall did after a hard reset: Looked at all of the codes and started figuring up what I've spent. It's somewhere in the hundreds but I stopped when I realized my wife would kill me if she figured it out. Then again, some of it was for her PPC too...

jsnielsen
03-15-2005, 09:29 AM
I guess I'm at about... $5-600 for my PPC and Smartphone.

Kowalski
03-15-2005, 12:05 PM
i dont see how you find that much software to buy.

the only payware i am using is pocket informat, because it doesnt have any alternatives as freeware.
all of my software suit is freeware and all coming from www.pocketpcfreewares.com

let me give you some examples: resco file explorer is payware but gsfinder+ is an excellent application too.
there are lots of note taking software but adbidea libary is a killer one and free. it also has desktop companion
i use wmp, built into the rom.
micro reader for offline reading etc.

keep on rocking on the free world!

ChristopherTD
03-15-2005, 12:16 PM
In the first flush of enthusiasm for PPC I spent a lot on all sorts of software, including a lot of games.

After the next hard reset (or new device) hardly any of it will be re-installed.

The keepers will be:

Palm eReader
Ilium eWallet and ListPro
spB Pocket Plus, GPRS Monitor, Imageer, Time & Weather
Pocket Breeze
Pocket Informant
Pocket Bible
Resco File Explorer
Pocket HP15C
Calligrapher
Sprite Backup

even those would add up to a moderate sum, so I won't add up the rejects!!

jsnielsen
03-15-2005, 03:15 PM

For me:

Pocket Informant
Mail 2.0
Calligrapher 7.4
DK language pack for Calligrapher
PocketMusic Bundle
PhatPad
FlexWallet 2005
SPB Time
SPB Finance
SPB Pocket Plus 2.5
SplashPhoto
Wisbar Advance 2
Acky's XP Breakout
XTND Connect 5.2
Gamebox Gems
PocketBreeze
SPB GPRS Monitor 2

The above mentioned apps are musthaves for me, as they support my everyday use extremely well.

Then there's the software for my smartphone (SPV C500) on top of that. It all adds up ;)

disconnected
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
In my first couple of years of PPC ownership, I spent a small fortune on software. I'm still using a lot of it, but haven't found too much new stuff to buy lately; I wish there were more VGA-aware apps. I still spend a lot on cases (already have several for my iPAQ 4700), but my biggest expense now is ebooks. I think I spend at least forty or fifty dollars a month on them.

FrozenIpaq
03-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I have spent somewhere between 20-40 on software, not much but thas all i need to get by and still have fun

WA2-Must have for any guy who likes to personlaize his PPC
Pocket Breeze- very good for viewing tasks and items on today screen
Snails- just a fun game

dochall
03-15-2005, 10:52 PM

It helps if you been using since Palmsize PC's.

The real killers are Tom Tom Navigator 3 (UK) but I had v 2 before that upgraded and mapopolis (US). So there's around $300 dollars straight away but I won't get lost on two continents.

Around $100 dollars on games some for the Wow factor (tomb raider, gilbert goodmate, Atlantis Redux) some seriously got played (Zuma, Bejeweled 2) and a strange addiction to Texas Holdem variants (pocket rockets, holdem all-in and Ace Texas Hold Em)

Then the real heart of the machine (in something like a order of importance):
Pocket Informant (through around 3 generations)
Ereader Pro
Calligrapher
Fitaly
Codewallet Pro
Planmaker
Textmaker
Repligo
Pocket Plan
Jounrey JP Planner (uk rail times)
Phatpad
WebIS Mail
Running Voice
Pocket Controller
List Pro
IP Dashboard
MemAid
Flash Format

That's stuff I would put on a machine without any thought.

Theres also some stuff that I no longer use which I has been replaced by better software, or doesn't fit the machine or has functionality in the OS or OEM release:

SPB GPRS monitor
SuperAlert
Nydiot
Transcreative Nicestart
DVD to Pocket PC something (replaced for Pocket DivX Encoder)
Dashboard
NewsForce (actually I should start using that again)
Printboy

Not a complete list but it gives you the idea.

But then there is stuff that I should get around to buying as I would use it:
Pocket Slides
Pocket Breeze
Pocket Weather (I can't decide whether this is just cool but I do know that London warms up at the end of the week and I hate TV weather forecasts for some reason)
Wisbar Advance 2
I keep thinking I should buy Resco File Explorer but thanks for the tip I will look at gsfinder+

One thing that it does confirm is there is no way I'm jumping ship I have far too much invested in the pocket pc platform.

On a slight tangent I saw a guy I used to work using a Psion 3a the other day (since he got that 3a I've gone through eight palmtop machines excluding the one that got pinched.) so may be I just need therapy.

Pat Logsdon
03-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Way, way, way too much. Seriously, I could paint my house with all the money I've spent. Granted, it would be a lovely shade of "Remaindered Pink", but still.

dean_shan
03-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Maybe $100-$150. I'm big into the freeware.

illusion
03-18-2005, 01:18 AM
It's not just the software but the hardware that kills me as well. I try not to think of the total exense because it would make me nautious.

Hardware:
PPCT 128 Meg upgrade
256M High Speed SD(my original one, I now keep my maps on it)
1G High Speed SD
Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Wired Aviation GPS receiver
CF Wifi Card

Software
TomTom 2004
Anywhere Map(with yoke mount), aviation mapping
WisBar Advance 2
Lextionary
Pocket Informant
Thunderhawk Browser
Pocket Mechanic
WorldMate Pro
PhatPad
ACDSeeMobile
Pocket Music Bundle
Netfront(bought before I discovered thunderhawk)
Pocket Artist
Pocket Mechanic
EWallet

It adds up after a while.

MegaManXcalibur
03-18-2005, 05:56 AM
I think I totaled less then $100.00 in PDA software. Usually when I need a program I look around to see if I can find a free version of it, or if I have the time I'll roll my own program.

Now hardware on the other hand... oh boy I have a ton of money in that (I wish I could just upgrade companents in my PDA like I can in my desktop, it would save a lot of money).