View Full Version : Looking for an ID3 tag editor (to edit the song info on an mp3) for Pocket PC

strongbad6565
03-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Does anyone know where I can find an ID3 tag editor for Pocket PC? It could be an mp3 player that has a built-in ID3 editing function, or a separate ID3 editing program. Thanks!
-Chris

Orbsplateau
03-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Pocketmind's Pocket Music Player
http://www.pocketmind.com/pmfp.htm

It supports ID3 tag editing and it's a very good MP3 player

strongbad6565
03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks! Pretty awesome program. The problem is, I can't figure out how to edit ID3 tags. Can you tell me how? Thanks

Orbsplateau
03-14-2005, 02:50 AM
sure...

I have the retail version, and I don't know if the trial version is any different but here's what i would do:

click on OPTIONS

choose "Playlist Organizer...."

click on the "Media Catalog" tab on the bottom

Now, there should be 6 icons on the bottom tray (with the 3rd and 4rth greyed out)

click on icon#2 and make sure "Artist Name" (second choice from the top) is checked off. You only need to perform this step once but it will make your lists more intuitive to use.

Now. you should be able to see a list of artists on the main screen... assuming you have MP3 loaded on your device and some of them of ID3 tags. If no tag is present, you'll see a bunch of "unkowns"

Each artist name acts like a folder. Expand it. and you should see the songs by that artist.

To edit the tag, just click on a song (not double click) and song will get highlighted. Now, press the 3rd icon from the bottom tray...
and voila, the editor should open.
Make sure to click on "update" when done editing, otherwise it won't save your settings.

Another neat feature is that you can preset the equalizer settings based on "genre"

It's a setting under the equalizer options from the main menu, but it's neat cuz if you want it to, it will always use a certain equalizer setting for all songs that have "Classical" as their genre (set in the ID3 tags)... and another equalizer setting associated with the "Rock" genre and so forth.
Of course, if you prefer, you can deactivate the equalizer altogether, but I find this to be a useful feature sometimes.

GSmith
03-14-2005, 03:00 AM
Another neat feature is that you can preset the equalizer settings based on "genre"

It's a setting under the equalizer options from the main menu, but it's neat cuz if you want it to, it will always use a certain equalizer setting for all songs that have "Classical" as their genre (set in the ID3 tags)... and another equalizer setting associated with the "Rock" genre and so forth.
Of course, if you prefer, you can deactivate the equalizer altogether, but I find this to be a useful feature sometimes.

Woah, cool! Do you know if you can override the genre of an MP3 file from the command line of PocketMusic?

I'm looking for a way within FeederReader to specify an EQ settings for a podcast. This is one of the things that could solve the "podcasts have different volume levels" problem. Then if they person changes the EQ when listening to a genre, PocketMusic will save the settings and resume them when it sees that genre?

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS, podcatcher, videocatcher
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Orbsplateau
03-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Woah, cool! Do you know if you can override the genre of an MP3 file from the command line of PocketMusic?

honestly... not sure. Pocketmusic's features aren't very well documented so I'm only aware of the features I've tried to use.

Then if they person changes the EQ when listening to a genre, PocketMusic will save the settings and resume them when it sees that genre?

Yes, as long as you click "Save preset" after you make any changes... otherwise, it will just keep those settings until the next song starts playing (assuming you have the "auto load preset by genre" option enabled).
If the auto load preset option is not enabled then any changes you make will stay in effect until you load another preset manually or make new changes to the eq settings.

strongbad6565
03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Orbsplateau. PocketMusic is awesome... best PPC mp3 player I've come across!

NewKreation
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
PlaylistEditor 1.5 is now released. Get it from:

http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc/

Fixes and features in this version:

Editing of ID3 v1.1 tags. Support for v2 tags will come later.
Vastly improved ASX loading. Should load all valid ASX playlists without problem
Minor UI improvements including new menu items under "Edit"
Delete now automatically selects the next item in the playlist
Remembers your last chosen directory for loading files and for adding files between runs

Free and blazingly fast!