View Full Version : ZigBee SDIO Card Announced at CeBIT

Darius Wey
03-12-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.c-guysusa.com/press3_10.html' target='_blank'>http://www.c-guysusa.com/press3_10.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"C-guys, Inc., a global leader in the design and development of SD and SDIO solutions for home, SOHO and SMB applications, today announced the world's first ZigBee SDIO card. ZigBee is a set of networking, security and application software protocols based on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard - a low-power and low-bandwidth mesh-networking scheme that allows devices to wirelessly communicate with each other without the need of human intervention. Zigbee's low power consumption allows battery-powered devices such as PDAs and handheld computers to easily connect to and control a variety of electronic equipment and networks."</i><br /><br />More news from the CeBIT front! C-guys claim that the ZigBee SDIO card, which makes use of the IEEE 802.15.4 standard, will allow your PDA to control parts of your home such as the lighting system or security system. Signal ranges are claimed to be up to 10m, with data rates at 200Kbps. A little ho-hum, but you'd be comparing apples and oranges if you put it against well-known wireless standards like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Wireless USB. I doubt the ZigBee will target a huge market, but it's interesting nonetheless.

saru83
03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Ya, i agree with you but it seems to be a new neat invention, but anyways i prefer if it was built in the ppc instead of the SDIO thing, coz i use a 1GB SD card and all my stuff r in that lovely card.. :D

surur
03-12-2005, 12:45 PM
10 metres is a bit little for home control, e.g. changing the temperature of the air con or heating. I mean if its only 10 metres you might as well get up and do it yourself.

Surur

clarkth
03-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I was looking at ZigBee for my home before I heard of this. Even if it's only a 10m range, it will be interesting to try out.

PJE
03-12-2005, 07:49 PM
ZigBee is a mesh network - you only need to be within 10m of the nearest node. ZigBee I feel will take over from X10 for home automation and hopefully be built into TVs etc..

It's also has a much lower power useage than the other networks you mention - a smoke detector could run for years off a couple of AA batteries.

I'm looking forward to a ZigBee (802.15.4) future.