View Full Version : can't read my books on a new device??

zilla31
03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
got a couple of books from ebooks.com then got a new device. reinstalled mobipocket, got a new PID and entered it under my account on ebooks.com. downloaded my books again but a message pops up saying they are unavailable for "all" my PIDs and mobipocket won't open them on my new device... how can i get this going?

THANKS!

Jorgen
03-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Yep, this is why I never buy Mobipocket. It is device specific. If you don't lose your books this time, then you will later.

There is a PID manager which you use to change device: http://www.ebookmall.com/knowledge-collection/mobi.htm

Jorgen

hpf
03-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Are you trying to read your eBooks on another PDA (keeping your old one(s)) ? If you just update your PID in your account, you should be able to read them.
Did you ask ebooks.com ?

I had no problem on Mobipocket and Fictionwise website, I have been using them for 4 years now, and I can still read my eBooks. I have changed maybe 10 times my PIDs, because I often change my device.

Jorgen
03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I should be more precise as it is not only a MobiPocket problem: with any of the existing DRM methods (MS Reader, Mobi and eReader), you are likely to eventually lose your books for one reason or another, but typically when you change to a PDA not supported by the company.

I find Mobi's approach particularly terrible. I prefer to burn my books to a CD and store it in my safe, rather than be dependent on being able to download it from Mobi's website 20-30-40 year from now.

zilla31
03-11-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah it's weird - i thought i followed the process @ ebooks.com. i installed mobipocket on my new axim, and subsequently got a new PID. i took that PID and entered it into the PID manager section at ebooks.com, then re-downloaded my book and it threw an error saying all available PIDs (there are 2 now even though i only have one since i sold my old device).

zilla31
03-22-2005, 07:20 PM
just as a final update in case anyones interested: i ultimately had to have ebooks.com staff completely wipe out my existing PIDs, then i entered in my new one, downloaded the book again, and it worked :)

SteveHoward999
03-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I should be more precise as it is not only a MobiPocket problem: with any of the existing DRM methods (MS Reader, Mobi and eReader), you are likely to eventually lose your books for one reason or another, but typically when you change to a PDA not supported by the company. .

MSReader lets you activate an additional device every 180 dayes. And you can backup your pda MSReader activaion by copying 4 files from one device to another.

Also if you can find clit.exe you can use it to de-DRM your your MSReader books, then you don't have to care about device activation.

hpf
03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
I should be more precise as it is not only a MobiPocket problem: with any of the existing DRM methods (MS Reader, Mobi and eReader), you are likely to eventually lose your books for one reason or another, but typically when you change to a PDA not supported by the company. .

MSReader lets you activate an additional device every 180 dayes. And you can backup your pda MSReader activaion by copying 4 files from one device to another.

Also if you can find clit.exe you can use it to de-DRM your your MSReader books, then you don't have to care about device activation.

Yes, but the use of CLIT is forbidden in most of the countries, because it breaks a DRM :devilboy: ... if you think it worths some time in jail, ... that's your problem...

AFAIK, the guy who broke Adobe DRM is still in jail in the US.

SteveHoward999
03-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes, but the use of CLIT is forbidden in most of the countries, because it breaks a DRM :devilboy: ... if you think it worths some time in jail, ... that's your problem...

AFAIK, the guy who broke Adobe DRM is still in jail in the US.

Do you have any references for that? All I was aware of was that the guy got an official finger-waving warning from Microsoft, and that's about as far as it got - you know the sort of thing, please quit with the tool or we will get angry. I can find nothign that suggests the creator of ConvertLit was ever jailed.

hpf
03-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I was talking about the Russian guy who broke the Adobe DRM. Please re-read my post.
For the CLIT, the website has been hosted in a country where the DRM issues are not a problem... this does not allow you more to use it if you live in the US or in Europe.