View Full Version : Activesync 3.8 Now Available in 23 Languages

Jonathon Watkins
03-10-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync38.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...tivesync38.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36331&amp;">recently updated</a> Activesync to version 3.8 and they have now released it in a few (!) other languages. These include: Worldwide English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish. If Activesync is currently working for you, then there's no real need to upgrade as the fixes were mainly concerned with installation issues. It's worth snagging for the next time you need to rebuild you system though. You can get Activesync in your choice of language <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync38.mspx">here</a>. Happy syncing. ;-)

dhpss
03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
It is funny to see this...Last evening I saw a brief demo of ActiveSync 4.0, which offers lots of improvements (USB 2.0,..) and some kind of sync protocol change (TCP/IP?)... that allows much much faster sync..I believe Activesync 4.0 can sync files outside of main memory.. (not 100% sure) :D

4.0 will be needed for Magneto...

PDANEWBIE
03-10-2005, 04:08 PM
So the usb transfer limitation of 1.1 on the PC to the PPC is all activesyns fault? I had always thought it was a hardware limitation not a software one...

If this is the case they better release AS 4.0 tomorrow and give us all USB 2.0 speeds.

DaleReeck
03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Now users can see Activesync suck in 23 languages :D

jpaq
03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
How do you say "Unresolved Items" in German?

SKassam
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Is this a newer build than Active synch 3.8.0 Build 5004 which came out a while ago?

ricksfiona
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
I've been pretty happy with ActiveSync 3.7. Can't remember the last problem. USB 2.0 and Storage Card synchronization would rock! Bring on ActiveSync 4.0!!!

Another plus would be to synchronize with network folders. I know, I'm asking for the world!

Kowalski
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
i have been pretty happy with active sync too, and never had any problems :D
i have only one complain, that the file transfer speed is not fast enough!
it seems that USB 2.0 will solve my problem

Rob Alexander
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I'd just appreciate it if ActiveSync didn't throw a fit whenever I boot my laptop without the Bluetooth dongle attached. I bought the dongle to sync my iPaq 2215 with my Dell laptop at work without having to buy another cradle. The BT dongle is plugged into a docking station so it's there whenever I'm at my desk, but not when I undock the laptop and take it somewhere. Prior to WinXP SP2, when I was using the manufacturer's Bluetooth stack, I could take the computer out of the dock and use it with no problem. Since SP2, whenever I do that, ActiveSync throws a fit telling me that my port is unavailable and it can't find the device and how about if it just disconnects the whole ActiveSync system permanently! I have to hit three cancel buttons every time I start it away from my desk.

Now some may say it's the fault of SP2, since that's what changed, but I say it's the fault of ActiveSync. SP2 is clearly doing as it should by dynamically assigning the port when the device is there and not doing so when the device is missing. It's ActiveSync that's getting fussed about the missing port, when the missing port doesn't matter unless ActiveSync need to connect to my PPC. It would be different if I asked it to sync while the port was missing, but until I do, it should just sit there quietly and wait until the port appears.

I'd say I was excited about a new version 4.0 of AS coming up, but there are problems that AS has had since version 1.0 that have never been addressed, so I'm a little skeptical that they are suddenly going to get a clue and get it right this time.

In the meantime, it's nice to see MS release it in all these languages. Why should English speaking people be the only ones to have the fun of struggling with this irritating software?

Janak Parekh
03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
So the usb transfer limitation of 1.1 on the PC to the PPC is all activesyns fault? I had always thought it was a hardware limitation not a software one...
Pocket PCs today sync at a speed much slower than even USB 1.1 -- and, yes, that's ActiveSync's fault.

--janak

Fuego
03-13-2005, 11:53 PM
To get USB 2 speeds you have to have USB 2 hardware in your PC and PPC. AFAIK only a very few PPCs have USB 2 - correct me if I am wrong.

However, point taken that AS over USB 1.1 could do better. Here are the rated speeds:

USB 1.1 — 12Mb/sec
USB 2.0 Full Speed — 12Mb/sec
USB 2.0 High Speed — 480Mb/sec.

In practice USB 1.1 tends to deliver around 6 Mb/sec, or about 730 KB/s, with various factors related to hardware preventing one achieving the full capability.