View Full Version : WinMobile devices with built in HD

Fishie
03-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Here in Belgium the Mitac Mio 269 was released mid January, it packs a 2.5gig HD in adition to its built in GPS and even comes with a remote control for music and videos etcetera.

Soon we will get a new Samsung windows smartphone which will have an integrated 3gig HD and will be he first smartphone with a QVGA screen.
This one is not slated to come out in the US as far as I know.

So whats up HD wise for regular PPCs in the coming months then?

PDANEWBIE
03-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I hope nothing. I bought a PPC with dual slots so I can put in my own HDD at will. I hate thinking I have to be stuck with a specific type of internal device. Especially at the cost of an expansion slot that you can do much more with.

Fishie
03-10-2005, 10:33 PM
A lot of people seem to want a PPC with a big drive though.

IpaqMan2
03-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Gosh, I sure hope so.. It is the most logically step for PPC OEMs to take. I'd love to see a PPC with an internal HD for storage and also have an sd slot for those times we wish to use the SD to save on battery. If PPC OEMs had vision to see this I think it would open a whole new area of users who may also be looking for a portable entertainment device.

frankenbike
03-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but a 2gig HD these days is almost a joke. 2gigs of Flash, well that's acceptable. But if you're going to have an HD, it shouldn't be less than 20gb ;)

Menneisyys
03-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't want a PDA that has a microdrive-sized and -capacity, built-in HDD. I have my own battery-operated 60 GB 2.5" HDD that can be connected to my PDA without much trouble. I find even 60 GB sometimes too little.

No meager 2-4-6 Gbytes for me at the expense of higher size/weight. When they become 20+ Gbytes, then, maybe :)

Kowalski
03-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Gosh, I sure hope so.. It is the most logically step for PPC OEMs to take. I'd love to see a PPC with an internal HD for storage and also have an sd slot for those times we wish to use the SD to save on battery. If PPC OEMs had vision to see this I think it would open a whole new area of users who may also be looking for a portable entertainment device.

thats what double slot concept for, if you want plenty of storage, CF for your microdrive, SD for expansion

i wouldnt want a device with built in HDD. what i want to see is 2-3GB SD card with a reasonable price tag, a pda with built in BT and WI-FI. thats all

IpaqMan2
03-13-2005, 04:08 AM
thats what double slot concept for, if you want plenty of storage, CF for your microdrive, SD for expansion

i wouldnt want a device with built in HDD. what i want to see is 2-3GB SD card with a reasonable price tag, a pda with built in BT and WI-FI. thats all

The only problem is double slot PDAs are stilll on selected models.

Second.... to purchase a CF HD is still going to cost $200 to $400 US to get between a 4 to 6 Gigs.

Third, I'd rather see OEM deal with the cost of adding such technology to PDAs and as other OEMs add HDs to PDAs the price will start to come down to what I believe will be cheaper than buying CF HD on it's own.

Yeah, but a 2gig HD these days is almost a joke. 2gigs of Flash, well that's acceptable. But if you're going to have an HD, it shouldn't be less than 20gb

Forth, I'd rather have a 2 GIG HD built in than having to spend several hundred dollars extra for the SD card. Still with current technology I am looking above 2 Gigs , but maybe 4 or 6 Gigs. Eventhough that's still a pretty small HD, it's still fairly large for PDAs and what can be purchased with flash memory.

And Last...my opinions only....
I think if PPCs did start comming with internal HDs, after all the smoke and wind blew over, just like we saw in the Palm crowd with the color screens and built in MP3 abilities, everyone would except, and welcome them. Just seems like the same old argument, just with newer technology.