View Full Version : connecting to INTERNET via Active Sync using Siemens SX66

urologyhealth
03-10-2005, 02:33 AM
I can connect using wi-fi and gprs, but despite being allowed in Active Sync settings to PASS THROUGH to Internet--I get "page cannot be found"

Do I need to set up a new connection?

Thanks

bit_bucket
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I just set up a friends new PPC with wifi yesterday and got the wireless ActiveSync working... Here is what I did:

1) Set up the wifi network and insured I could surf.
2) On the wifi configs on his PPC (Dell) there was a drop down for each individual connection that specified whether this was to connect to Work or the internet. I selected Work in this instance, and I will explain why later in this post.
3) I then went to Start Settings Connections and then the connections icon. Then go to the Advanced tab and click the select networks tab. There are 2 settings there, on his I set both to My Work Network. Of course you can play around with this and have the first one be for your GPRS network and the second be the my work network. On the second drop down, my work network, edit it and go to proxy and make sure the This connects directly to the internet is checked.
4) go to connections settings on active sync on the pc and enable ethernet access.
5) Open the active sync app and it should work.

Reasoning behind all of this. Microsoft chose to make the connection manager really strange in how it works. Once it is setup right, everything works great. When you surf and check mail and stuff, it uses TCP connections and recognizes DNS requests. It treats these are "Internet" connections. Activesync is a bit different. When you active sync the first time, the activesync program collects the Netbios name of your pc and the pocket pc will attempt to connect to that when you do an activesync. The problem is that netbios is NOT based on DNS, and so the Pocket PC treats this as a "Work" network, so anything that makes netbios or wins type requests is considered "Work". Where this can mess things up is if you dont enable the proxy to specify that your "Work" network connects to the internet, you would not be able to surf after setting your wifi connection to "Work" and you would have to manually change it everytime you wanted to sync.

As far as doing it over GPRS, it may be a similar thing, with one exception. You will need to have a VPN connection set up in that second tab of the connection manager, and will have to have GPRS as the work network. You will then have to have the other side of the VPN on your PC that you wish to ActiveSync with. You would also have to do this if you were activesyncing using a Wifi network that your PC was not on. This of course is because you are outside you network.

Hope this helps, and please someone correct me if I erred in some way..

bit

urologyhealth
03-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure what you said applies to me. I merely want to surf the internet on my siemens sx66 (wm2003) when it is in cradle NOT wirelessly.

MitchellO
03-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask:

WHY???

If you are connected via the cradle to your computer, why would you want to use it to surf the net, sitting next to a full computer? Especially considering the SX66 has WiFi.

urologyhealth
03-10-2005, 11:35 PM
You are correct there is little reason to do this but I was interested from a technical standpoint as to why it didn't work. I have had Casio E-200,DELL AXIM 30 and Imates before this and it worked as long as Active Sync pass through said connect to INTERNET. I was curious as to why this didn't work.

I've since I wrote figured out a solution: CONNECTIONS,ADVANCED,NETWORKS and change from Media Net to Work.

However if I want to use GPRS -- I have to switch back

Thanks for your interest

MitchellO
03-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Thats the same thing I used to do to use WiFi and GPRS on my XDA Mini with SD WiFi. I had to swap between a GPRS and Internet profile. Solved it by recreating the GPRS connection in the Internet profile. No switching needed anymore!

urologyhealth
03-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Can you give me the steps to do this?

Thanks

jdgarcia
03-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Im a newbie as well. I can surf the internet (albeit slowly) using GPRS.
I'm sitting here in hotel writing you all on my PC, becuase I cannot get the Wifi to work on my Siemens Sx66.

MY PC found the network easily. I turned on the browser per the instructions and typed in the access code provided to me.

For the SX66, I tried the same thing, I turned the Wireless LAN on and got a fair connection (to connection their network). In the LEAP tab, I assume that I need to make a new there too. So, I entered the SSID provided me by the hotel but the PPC requires a user name. I couldnt go any further.

Nor could I get the browser to come up w/ the hotel network.

Can you all help??