View Full Version : 2215 or 4155

wingmaker
03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm planing to buy a new ppc, I can curently get two ppcs for almost the same price. The HP 2215 or 4155.
I can't decide becouse I would like to have a CF slot and I would also like to have Wi-Fi. I already have a CF wireless card, so i could use it with the 2215...but I'm still not shure...

All the other components are prety much the same. Acept the screen, can you please tell me wich screen is better...
I heard that the screen on 4155 is a little disapointing.
Can I please hear your general opinion.

Thank you for your sugestions :)

Don't Panic!
03-09-2005, 07:37 PM
HP2215, I never had any screen problems. Dual slots are a must have in my book.

phs
03-10-2005, 12:01 AM
HP2215, I never had any screen problems. Dual slots are a must have in my book.

True, and you can always buy a CF Wi-Fi card. Got mine from Meritline,com for US$32. But then again, if you use Wi-Fi often (like at home), it's a pain to have to insert a CF card everytime.

Orbsplateau
03-10-2005, 05:54 AM
i haven't owned either units... and i'm definitely not an expert on the issue but here's what I've read in some reviews of the 2215:

- side grips come off too easily
- display not as good as h4150
- poor battery life if you use external wifi card
- no record button on the side of h2215

what i've also noticed is that h4150 owners seem very happy with their device.

[edit: in some reviews of the h4150, they complain about the screen's yellow tint when viewed from an angle... but when you look at it directly, it looks just fine. you might want to ask if any of the long-owners are bothered by this]

on the other hand if you MUST have a CF slot, you're pretty much stuck with the axim X50, toshiba e830, h2215 or the new hx2xxx series.

the h2215 IS a good device though. I was considering buying one a while ago.

[edit: I'd also recommend reading this page:
http://www.pc-counselor.com/h221x.htm.
it packs a lot of useful info for h2215 users]

Kowalski
03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
a very hard situation. both units are very reliable, have good battery life and screen.i have a 2215 and my room mate has an 4155. here are the differences:

-4155 is a little bit slimmer
-although the side grips easly fall, the provide good grip:)
-2215 has long range Ir, i mean remote control
-4155 has vo-ip

now if you want to carry very large collection of mp3 ( i mean 3-4 gigs) thus will planning to buy a microdrive than go for 2215. but if 1 GB SD card will be enough for you and plan to use wi-fi alot , than go for 4155

shawnc
03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
If you need CF, its really a no-brainer. Having had wireless with the use of a card with my Axim, and now having integrated wireless, I'll definitely NEVER go back to using cards again. Way more convenient and much better range and reliability (at least thats been my experience).

I absolutely love my 4155 (well, as much as one can love an electronic device :wink: ). I wanted very badly to purchase a VGA device but couldn't find anything that would compel me to part with what I have. It is extremely reliable. I've had zero problems with either the wireless or bluetooth. And it is so nice to be able to throw it in my pocket without it pulling my pants down.

IMO, the only downside is sandisk's lack of reliability when it comes to releasing products. I've definitely outgrown my 1G SD card and have been waiting for the 2G's for close to 9 months now :evil: ! If you carry lots of MP3's/WMA's, then you'll probably want to go with the dual slots.

Kowalski - the 4155 has VOIP? I didn't realize that.

Sven Johannsen
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Kowalski - the 4155 has VOIP? I didn't realize that.
So does the 2215. It's not like it's built in to anything yet. With the addition of Skype or equivalent on the 2215 with a wireless card, it's as viable a VoIP client as the 4155 with Skype alone. 2215 might actually be better as it is capable of accepting the BT headset hack and using a BT headset. The 4155 doesn't seem to work that way.

I have both and I still couldn't tell you which is 'better'. It depends entirely on your intended use, as others have said. The dual slots of the 2215 are a very useful feature, while the form factor of the 4155 is the best there's ever been (IMHO). I must admit that I lean towards the 4155, but mine has the PPCtechs RAM upgrade giving me a 64M FileStore which holds all my programs. I can swap my SD card without worrying about what's on it, as it's only data.

If you are not the type to have several SD cards, and/or SD peripherals, You can't beat the 4155. If you keep a card for music, one for the work day, one for videos, and have a card GPS or network card, the 2215 is the way to go.

I personnally don't think the screen is that different. Though the 4155 is better, the 2215 is perfectly fine.

phs
03-13-2005, 02:44 AM
In at least two surveys done by this site, there seems to be more iPaq 2210 users than any other pocketpc, if that means anything.

lorettaboy
03-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I would go for the 41xx, as it has a smaller footprint and built-in wifi. Sure you can add a wifi CF card to the other unit, but it will draw considerably more power.

phs
03-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I would go for the 41xx, as it has a smaller footprint and built-in wifi. Sure you can add a wifi CF card to the other unit, but it will draw considerably more power.

First time I heard this. Why do CF wifi cards consume more power? And how much more?

May be the reason I need to convince my wife that an upgrade is necessary.

Sven Johannsen
03-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure you could validate 'considerably more power'. The 2215 has a healthy battery to begin with, and you would almost have to compare a PPC with embedded WiFi to that same PPC with a Wifi CF card to compare the relative Wifi power hit. There are good and not so good Wifi cards when it comes to efficiency as well. I believe my 2215 with Socket CF Wifi card is as efficient as my 4155, though I haven't made a scientific study of it.

I think it has more to do with convenience than agonizing over some perceived extra draw from a CF. If you use, or are expecting to use, Wifi a lot, then a built in one is just more convenient. If you aren't, then the second slot is a great feature for other peripherals.