View Full Version : Building a Pocket PC - Need Advice

defense4212
03-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Suppose one wanted to attempt to connect a Pocket PC (e.g, iPaq 1945) to a larger LCD? That is, take it apart, connect (somehow) a larger screen, build a case for the contraption, and end up with a "tablet" of sorts?

Possible?

Parson the possible dweebishness of my question. True ignoramus here - I have absolutely no tech chops and am just trying to get some sense of what would be possible. Seems like a tablet-size PPC (say, driving a 10.4" LCD) could be quite popular (what with instant on, etc.) yet few if any manufacturers appear to be considering such a device.

Dave Conger
03-09-2005, 06:06 AM
I am sure it would be possible to connect it, but I don't know how it work out. The problem you likely would run in to is that only 240x320 or 480x640 would be supported. So things would be HUGE on the 10" screen.

It would have to be checked, but I think there is a limit to the screen sizes that manufatures can use for Pocket PC devices, which could be why such a device hasn't hit the market.

Cybrid
03-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Suppose one wanted to attempt to connect a Pocket PC (e.g, iPaq 1945) to a larger LCD? That is, take it apart, connect (somehow) a larger screen, build a case for the contraption, and end up with a "tablet" of sorts?

Possible?

Parson the possible dweebishness of my question. True ignoramus here - I have absolutely no tech chops and am just trying to get some sense of what would be possible. Seems like a tablet-size PPC (say, driving a 10.4" LCD) could be quite popular (what with instant on, etc.) yet few if any manufacturers appear to be considering such a device.
Some PPC's support VGA out so you copuld simply use that....Also there are non-consumer "webpads" that use CE 4.1

defense4212
03-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks much for the comments . . . .

juni
03-09-2005, 07:57 AM
I suppose you could run something like Nyditot Virtual Display to get the screen to be bigger:

http://www.nyditot.com/Products.asp

surur
03-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey, this is a great idea! Imagine making a web pad out of a cheap Dell x50v, a 10 inch lcd with digitiser and microdrive and a few 2100mAh rechargeable batteries. I imagine though in the end it will end up in the same range as a cheap laptop, but maybe in a year when the Dell's end up on ebay this would be a viable idea.

Surur