View Full Version : Smartphone v. PocketPC

bwilley
03-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I am new to the site but am impressed by how much everyone wants to help out. So help!

I have a smartphone Samsung i600. I am growing tired of it. I was thinking about going back to Palm with the treo 650 but then saw the information on the Samsung i730 rumored to be released soon.

What are the primary differences between smartphone and pocket pc?

Is there a voicesignal type program that allows voice dialing for pocket pc? Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

GSmith
03-08-2005, 12:47 AM
From my perspective, the biggest differences are the screen size and touchscreen.

Smartphone (aka Windows Mobile Smartphone) screen is smaller (220x160 SP vs 240x320 PPC). There are reports of a QVGA Smartphone coming out (but no devices exist today).

Smartphone does not have a touchscreen, which makes the interface much more limited (i.e. no on-screen keyboard, no toolbar full of icons, no easy text select and cut and paste). Instead, the main interface for many programs is a two button interface (click one of the buttons for a menu, and then you choose one of the options with 0-9 buttons).

For many of the things I want to do, the lack of a touchscreen is a killer limitation of the Smartphone devices.

That said, there are Pocket PC Phone Edition devices that have a phone built in as well as the touch screen. The smallest of these (the HTC Magician, is it?--different vendors have rebranded this device with a different name), approaches the size of a candy-bar Smartphone.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS, podcatcher, videocatcher
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Darius Wey
03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi bwilley, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

If you're not aware, we also have a sister site, Smartphone Thoughts. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/) If you like, you can visit that site to find out more about Smartphones as well.

Palmvert
03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Is the i730 considered a smartphone or a pocket pc phone?

What about the QX 6600?

Menneisyys
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Is the i730 considered a smartphone or a pocket pc phone?

It's a Pocket PC Phone because it runs WM, not Smartphone.

Palmvert
03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Ah. Thank you.