View Full Version : Hand Notes Suggestion - like BugMe or Phat Pad WHAT DO YOU USE?????

IowaArchitect
03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
HI
I was using BugME, and on my Axim it is running slow now, and the notes are turning up blank sometimes.
I have looked at PhatPad and PhatNotes, but they don't seem quite the ticket. Looking for something quick and easy - just like a "stickie note" you can scribble on with the PPC, and then ideally have a desktop component.
I use "stickies" by Tom Revell at http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/
for my desktop - but it wants typewritten text, not "hand sketch".

The built in "notes" program with PPC is fine for input...but no easy way I can see to "flip" through my notes (have to open each, one at a time).

SUGGESTIONS WELCOME

pr0vider
03-08-2005, 12:48 AM
I really like "Notes Today". You can find it on Handango or Pocket Gear, I believe.

Lex
03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
BugMe really bugged me when I came to PPC 2002 from Palm, bought it and it never worked right. Impressions from board posts here and at others indicate it never was developed over the past 2+ years. I found their tech support an oxymoron. I deleted it. For handwritten 'alarm notes' there is a nice freeware 'apMemo+' version 1.0 or it's shareware sister in version 2.0. See: http://www.apsoftsystems.com/apmemo/index.htm Scroll to bottom for 1.0. No desktop companion.

JPD6825
03-08-2005, 05:18 AM
A way to flip through your notes ?!! I'm having a hard time imagining any system that would be efficient for managing very many notes if it involved flipping through them. For my simple mind... the best thing for managing notes or documents is good, rational naming... Type or transcribe the first line in a 'Note' and that becomes a title... if you made it meaningful you can use that later. I used Notes for quite a while but I have now reserved that for reference items only. Now I use Pocket Word even for short note taking -- I have abandoned Grafitti and the Transcriber for notes... I use 'writing' mode and just go- and save the file as my handwriting. A meaningful document name and the file date let me retreive info...

Lex
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd love to use only 'drawn' or handwritten notes too but one gives up keyword searching ability that way. Yet, a memorable text title should lead you to it later with a search.

juni
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Multipad:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14520

Lex
03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
This is important so I'll do it as an additional post: there is an OS bug which can cause hand-written or drawn text to 'jumble' if you enter more than one screen's worth. When you scroll down to enter it or read it later then scroll back up what you've drawn or written has become distorted or jumbled. I've experienced it with a PPC 2002 and a WM2003 PPC so regularly that I cannot rely on hand-written mode for more than one screen worth of data entry or drawing.

zilla31
03-08-2005, 07:35 PM
keep a close watch on evernote. once they release the ability to sync w/ PPC (this quarter supposedly) - this app will be THE killer note app for PC and PPC.

Orbsplateau
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I know it's old, but I use BugMe and i've never experienced any issues. I've tried it with the last 3 versions of the Pocket PC OS and it's worked fine for me.

it's even useful for setting really quick alarms (i.e. call back mrs X in 10 mins).

IowaArchitect
03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
....to clarify, when I say handwritten notes....I really mean, words, sketches, drawings, maps, etc. After all, my username is IowaArchitect, you didn't really think it was all words did you......(for those that can't understand why I just don't use PocketWord or a similar app)
:lol:

Kowalski
03-09-2005, 08:44 AM
i use ADB idea library from happyjackroad and there is a companion software for desktop pc. it is still in beta phase but it works. just give it a try, you wont loose any cent because it is freeware

Andy Whiteford
03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll second the vote for apMemo - I used the freeware for a while then bought the version 2 for its refinements and improved functionality. It's one of my most used apps.

Lex
03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Andy, does the payware version of apMemo also present an acknowledgement screen at alarm time, then go to what you drew onscreen once you 'OK' it? What other advantages did you note in the pay version? Thanks !

Andy Whiteford
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Andy, does the payware version of apMemo also present an acknowledgement screen at alarm time, then go to what you drew onscreen once you 'OK' it? What other advantages did you note in the pay version? Thanks !

Yes it does.
Go to the website and near the bottom is a comparison of the 2.2 and free versions. I just liked the extensive options and undo feature of the full product:

http://www.apsoftsystems.com/apmemo/index.htm

Lex
03-09-2005, 02:01 PM
I wish there weren't that acknowledgement screen. Ideally it would alarm and show the intended note with no further action.

Stephen Beesley
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
A way to flip through your notes ?!! I'm having a hard time imagining any system that would be efficient for managing very many notes if it involved flipping through them.

No need to imagine - the good old Newton was doing just about the same thing almost a decade ago! You could check out some of the many Newton pages still around on the Web to see how this worked or have a look at this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12137&highlight=toilet+roll) veneralbe thread.

I really, really, really want something like this on the Pocket PC. Which leads me to....

keep a close watch on evernote. once they release the ability to sync w/ PPC (this quarter supposedly) - this app will be THE killer note app for PC and PPC.

Having used the Desktop beta of this program I really have to agree that this could indeed be the "killer app" for the Pocket PC.

Andy Whiteford
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I wish there weren't that acknowledgement screen. Ideally it would alarm and show the intended note with no further action.

The problem is you would still need to interact with the device to acknowledge the alarm so a pop up seems fairly natural - at least to me.

Lex
03-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Nah, other reminder apps just pop up the screen you wrote on at alarm time and there's a set of acknowledgement buttons at the bottom. PI and AF Alarm Notes are examples, also Stop Time freeware has a reminder note option. apMemo+ is unique in that you have to clear that acknowledgement screen first but it has some advantages over all those above so I've stuck with it. Thanks !