View Full Version : Help with Pocket Excel

Graeme1
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi,
I would like to know how to make Pocket Excel open to the folder I have made for my Excel files on my Storage Card.

I have Excel Files on my Desktop, I want to transfer them onto my PDA2K, so I made a folder in my Storage card and transfered them there, then started Pocket Excel and tried to navigate to the folder I had just created but it doesnt show up??

So then I sent a file to the My Documents Folder on the device and I could see it but I am unable to make seperate folders inside My Documents as it will not list them as being there.

I also noticed after I opened the file it was not the same as the desktop version, it has lost some formatting etc and I havent checked the Formulars yet to see if they are still correct.

Can someone be so kind as to help me out here?

Also is there any sites out there that deal with Pocket Excel and have Tutorials Etc

Thanks

Graeme

[Subject line edited by moderator JD - HTML/bbCode tags are not supported.]

yankeejeep
03-07-2005, 10:31 PM
First, Pocket Excel does not support many desktop Excel features, including most formula and function options. Unsupported features are stripped from the file when it is converted to Pocket Excel format and, no, they are not returned when the file is synced back to your desktop. If you need to work with Excel files on your PPC, I suggest PlanMaker, which supports Excel files in their native format (you can shut off conversion).

Concerning files on your stoarge card, if you make a "My Documents" folder on your card, Pocket Excel should be able to find files there. If you want to have files on the card sync with your desktop, you will need to supplement ActiveSync with an app like MobSync.

Graeme1
03-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,
thanks for the info :)

I will try the apps you mentioned. Also do you know of any sites that have free Pocket Excel Tutorials and Info etc?

Thanks again

Graeme

yankeejeep
03-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't know of anything other than the Pocket Excel chapters that Intro to PPC books have. There really isn't much to document; it is not at all equivalent to desktop Excel and the help file on your device has most of the information. You aren't dealing with a real spreadsheet app with Pocket Excel. MS has not done a good thing by giving the PPC apps names that make users think they are getting Word and Excel on their devices. That is very far from reality. Pocket Word and Pocket Excel are both incredibly anemic step-siblings to their desktop versions and neither allow you to work directly with files created by the desktop programs that share the name but not much else.

Graeme1
03-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know of anything other than the Pocket Excel chapters that Intro to PPC books have. There really isn't much to document; it is not at all equivalent to desktop Excel and the help file on your device has most of the information. You aren't dealing with a real spreadsheet app with Pocket Excel. MS has not done a good thing by giving the PPC apps names that make users think they are getting Word and Excel on their devices. That is very far from reality. Pocket Word and Pocket Excel are both incredibly anemic step-siblings to their desktop versions and neither allow you to work directly with files created by the desktop programs that share the name but not much else.

It makes me wonder how proffesional people get on, I guess they use other programs.
Its a bit of a rort though, I was led to beleive I could use Excel on my device the same as I could on my desktop, that was one of the reasons I bought it.

Thanks for your help

Graeme