View Full Version : HP iPAQ h4700 (WIFI TROUBLE - NEED HELP)

Spenser
03-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Hello, having a little problem connecting to a web page via WiFi.
I get the error message: "Internet Explorer - ! - The page you are looking for cannot be found" when trying to access any web page.
The blue WiFi-LED is on and in the WiFi-settings it lists correctly my network as connected. But in the main WiFi-Window (where you can switch on and off WiFi and BT) the WiFi-Button is brown, not green, thus stating not connected.

My WiFi-settings are...

General- Network name: "(correct name)", Connects to: "The Internet", and "This is a device-to-device (ad-hoc) connection" unchecked.

Network Key- Authentication: open, Data Encryption: WEP, the "key is provided for me automatically" is unchecked with my network key entered and key index set to 1.

802.1x - Use IEEE 802.1x network access control is unchecked with EAP type "smart card or cert". BUT – and that is probably my problem – whenever I uncheck it, it is checked again when I re-open the form again. :evil:

I tried to set the according registry-value to „0“, but nothing changed. Is there a bug or did I anything wrong?

Thank you for your help.
Jochen

Cybrid
03-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Hello, having a little problem connecting to a web page via WiFi.
I get the error message: "Internet Explorer - ! - The page you are looking for cannot be found" when trying to access any web page.
The blue WiFi-LED is on and in the WiFi-settings it lists correctly my network as connected. But in the main WiFi-Window (where you can switch on and off WiFi and BT) the WiFi-Button is brown, not green, thus stating not connected.

My WiFi-settings are...

General- Network name: "(correct name)", Connects to: "The Internet", and "This is a device-to-device (ad-hoc) connection" unchecked.

Network Key- Authentication: open, Data Encryption: WEP, the "key is provided for me automatically" is unchecked with my network key entered and key index set to 1.

802.1x - Use IEEE 802.1x network access control is unchecked with EAP type "smart card or cert". BUT – and that is probably my problem – whenever I uncheck it, it is checked again when I re-open the form again. :evil:

I tried to set the according registry-value to „0“, but nothing changed. Is there a bug or did I anything wrong?

Thank you for your help.
Jochen
Did you check to see if you received a vakid IP? www.cam.com vxipconfig

Spenser
03-09-2005, 08:02 AM

Yesterday evening I found the solution: in the registry under Wifi there were some flags which I deleted. That did the trick.

Alvictn
03-09-2005, 07:00 PM
What were the registry flags?

Spenser
03-09-2005, 07:13 PM
What were the registry flags?

They were underneath:
HCU / Control Panel / WiFi / xxxFLAGxxx

I've forgotten the exact name, but the name of the key had something like "FLAG" in it.

Alvictn
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
under HCU / Control Panel / WiFi / I have EapolParam1 and EapolParam2 when I open them I get EapFlags and EapType. Is this the same?

Spenser
03-09-2005, 07:30 PM
under HCU / Control Panel / WiFi / I have EapolParam1 and EapolParam2 when I open them I get EapFlags and EapType. Is this the same?
YES.
Now you mention them I remember.
(I tried to change quite a many values (802/PEAP/EAP/WiFi etc), soft-resetted the ipaq after every change and none of them worked. After I found out that deleting EapFlags did the trick, I had forgotten the exact values. I could only remember the word "Flag" in it.)

So obviously deleting the key(s) doesn't do any harm.

Alvictn
03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
I had pretty much the same problem -- everything seem to indicate that I was connected, but in IE the "page could not be found." I have tried your suggestions, but nothing. Thanks for trying!!

Cybrid
03-10-2005, 12:57 AM
YES.
Now you mention them I remember.
(I tried to change quite a many values (802/PEAP/EAP/WiFi etc), soft-resetted the ipaq after every change and none of them worked. After I found out that deleting EapFlags did the trick, I had forgotten the exact values. I could only remember the word "Flag" in it.)

So obviously deleting the key(s) doesn't do any harm. A registry simply acts as a reference for details about settings, app installations and other important stuff. Deleting them is generally not a good idea. If an app is well written then the key will re-generate with default settings. This is what did the trick here. If you did a slash and burn on the registry and deleted everything....you'd have quite a bit of fun.

Cybrid
03-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I had pretty much the same problem -- everything seem to indicate that I was connected, but in IE the "page could not be found." I have tried your suggestions, but nothing. Thanks for trying!!

It happens to be the second most common reason you don't get a successful connection.

Alvictn
03-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Great little utility! I am not getting a valid IP address. What should I do?

Cybrid
03-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Great little utility! I am not getting a valid IP address. What should I do?
Sorry, been busy.

What type of equipment are you using? Router model? PPC model? OS 2002/03?

WEP encrypted?

Alvictn
03-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Using a Linksys WRT54 -- it is WEP encryted.
The PPC is an HP 5555 running 2003.

Cybrid
03-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Using a Linksys WRT54 -- it is WEP encryted.
The PPC is an HP 5555 running 2003.
Ok. try this is order.

If the following is not "english" to you, a brief explanation.
http://www.vancouverpocketpc.com/a_guide_to_wifi.htm
Is any of the other equipment affected? laptop not being able to connect...? Check if the radio is on. this will have to be accessed from the router login page. find the ip belonging to the router...most probably 192.168.1.1 and then use the password, if you did not set a password then check the manual for the default password.
If you don't have any other equipment then check to see if the ipaq "sees" it.
start>settings>connections>advanced>select networks (your router name should be seen as available.) connect to it and then set the wep.
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html
If the it is not seen then configure the router. not owning the identical router.....you may have to read the manual and then ensure "Radio is on" and "DCHP is enabled" "MAC filtering" is off or PPC's MAC has been added to the list.
After you have established that you have connected, renew the ip.
This is probably too brief an explanation so, post back if you get stuck.

Alvictn
03-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Other equipment do connect to the router correctly (in fact several laptops and PPCs are connected -- this the router at work -- at home the same thing happens to this IPAQ -- my other equipment -- another PPC and laptop correctly connect).
The WEP is set correctly. To test it, when I logged on the I entered an incorrect WEP, and it wouldn't let me log on --- once I typed the correct WEP I was able to get "connected."
The IPAQ "sees" the network in start>settings>connections>advanced>select networks. It says it is "connected."
I get an IP address of 169.254.10.219.

I am beginning to think something is wrong with the unit. I did a hard reset, but results are the same.

digiSal
03-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I administer about 20 Pocket PCs at work and this is a common problem I run into with fresh Pocket PCs and experienced this today with a 4700.

If you have it connected to "The Internet" in the Advanced settings in Connections switch this to "My Work Network" under Select Networks.

The problem I had today with the 4700 was that my new assistant had given me the Bluetooth MAC address insteasd of the WiFi MAC to authenticate. Had me stumped for a good 10 minutes til i grabbed the 4700 from his hand...hehe...

Alvictn
03-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Whether I use Work or Internet I get the same results. Says I am connected but gives an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx. I've tried hard reset and still the same thing.