View Full Version : Bought a new device but want to keep the previous Activesync partnership

TCHeideman
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Hello...

I just bought an Audiovox vx6600 to replace my HP 6315 and I want to keep the partnership (folder) that was synced with my HP 6315. I think I know how to do this but wanted verification of this with any/all who have more experience than me.

I believe I can do this by deleting the last partnership BUT NOT deleting the folder (can I leave the folder with the current name?). I believe I can then re-name the NEW device with my last partnership and then place in the cradle to sync. I believe Activesync will then find the folder named with my last parntership and sync the new device with the old folder?? I do know that I must reinstall all my add on programs as this cannot be done with a sync. I do have Sprite Pocket Backup but I don't think I can use this to install a backup from my old device on to the new device???

I would appreciate it if anyone could verify this procedure or let me know if I am not correct and what the correct procedure is.....thanks much

Nurhisham Hussein
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
IIRC, when you delete a partnership AS will ask if you want to delete the sync folder as well. You can always choose not to. The way you describe what you want to do should work.

Rather than using the last partnership name, you can also just backup the sync folder, allow AS to delete it, do a new partnership, and just copy the backed up files into the new sync folder.

As to Sprite Backup, if you try a restore, you will have to hard reset-registry settings and device drivers differ between devices, and restore between different machines - don't even go there!!

Sven Johannsen
03-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Why not just sync the new device with a new name. It gets a new folder. Copy the stuff out of the old folder into the new on the PC. Leave the old around until you are sure you don't want it.

The only thing you might need to do is turn off inbox and money sync, on the old device, before you tell it to start it on the new one. Calendar, contacts, etc. will all sync fine to multiple devices.

uzetaab
03-05-2005, 06:30 AM
whatever you do, make sure you make a backup copy of all your files in your old partnership folder before the attempt. if something goes wrong, you don't want to lose it all.

TCHeideman
03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks to all who replied...I finised re-instaling all my aps and files and (wiht some minor glitches) it is all working well...thanks again

lm3870
04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a similar problem. My battery went dead in the PPC so I can't synch with my old partnership name.
I can't seem to find the "partnership" folder you are mentioning - where is it.

Thanks much

Sven Johannsen
04-03-2005, 01:31 AM
I have a similar problem. My battery went dead in the PPC so I can't synch with my old partnership name.
I can't seem to find the "partnership" folder you are mentioning - where is it.

Thanks much
They are talking about the "<your PPC name> My Documents" folder that appears on the desktop when you turn on Files Sync in ActiveSync. The desktop one is actually a shortcut to that same named folder in your PC My Documents. While there is a hidden folder buried in the OS associated with the partnership, which is what is keeping you from re-using the name, it can't be used to 're-establish the same old partnership. You PPC has a new internal ID it generated when it came back to life. Restoring from a backup would restore the old ID, if you had a backup.

You can use the name again. Just go into AS file with no device attached, select your current device and delete will become an option. You can delete the parnership associated with that device name. You will get an opportunity to delete, or no, the synchronized file folder. If you say no, and use the same name when creating the new partnership, all the files that are in the PC folder will be put back into the PPC My Documents folder when you sync and turn on Files sync.

Note thatwhen rebuilding your 'fresh' PPC, You can justopen add/remove programs in AS and all the apps you installed from that PC will be available to you. Just check the box next to one you want re-installed. You can actually click multiple ones and trigger multiple installs, but I worry that it will get confused if one requires a reset after install. You will need your reg keys. Don't forget to re-enter them, or you will be out somewhere in two weeks and a program you depend on will quit on you.

lm3870
04-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Worked just as you said. Thanks much

Lyle :)