View Full Version : Activesync keeps connecting but does not find Ipaq4700

KuroNeko
03-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I had AS3.7 installed for my old 3970. I never sync, I just connect as guest to install software.

Hooked up my new cradle and popped in the 4700, guest connected and installed a few things, all worked fine.

A few days later, I try this again and AS just keeps connecting. The 4700 is properly connected (shows up in the device manager), but for some reason AS doesn't find it. Deinstall AS, reboot, install AS3.8, soft reset 4700... no go. Next I tried the entire connection troubleshooter, including complete deinstallation of the CE USB drivers and registry cleaning, but the behaviour stays the same.

Plugging the cradle in another port or another controller: no change. Old cradle plus 3970: same issue but here following error is displayed on the Ipaq's screen: communications error. winsock services couldn't start due to critical error (Error %d)

Anyone ever see this behaviour? I seem to remember something similar from the beginning of when I had my 3970 (2 years ago), but can't remember if this was the same issue and how it was solved. All I remember was that AS sucks and with all new revisions since that hasn't changed :roll:

Thanks for any tips!

BTW, the reason I need it is as I said just to install software. If I get a CAB version of the software I can't choose the install path (IPAQ Filestore). If anyone knows how to install a CAB version to another directory, that would also help

Neko

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM
If I get a CAB version of the software I can't choose the install path (IPAQ Filestore). If anyone knows how to install a CAB version to another directory, that would also help

Grab yourself a copy of Cabinstl:

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=524

KuroNeko
03-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Cool program, thanks!

In the mean time I solved the problem. God knows what caused it, I never fiddled with any settings inbetween but...

The software firewall is what blocked the Activesync connection. In the Troubleshooter this is mentioned and I specifically checked that Activesync and the WCESCOMM software had full access... no go. But totally disabling the firewall, then enabling it again and now it works.

Took me a whole bloody night to get this working again, and only the error message on the 3970 gave the final clue. Why WM2003SE can't also display an error message, MS only knows :roll:

Neko

KuroNeko
03-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I thought it was fixed but....

now I cannot install software to anything but the main memory (not the Ipaq storage or SD card).

At first I thought it was the program, but I deinstalled Betaplayer which previously was installed to the Ipaq storage and now I cannot install it back to that place, only the main memory.

Yet those places are available simply by going through Windows explorer to that location, so it is a problem with the connection :bad-words:

Neko