View Full Version : X50's disappointing colour performance

Orbsplateau
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
X50's disappointing colour performance
If you’re picky with colours and you enjoy looking at photos on your PDA, then chances are that you might feel a little disappointed with the X50's screen (especially if you’re used to PDAs with a warm colour bias).

The X50's QVGA screen is nice and sharp. The level of contrast is good too... unfortunately, the screen has a strong cool-colour bias (at least compared to the h19xx, h4150, hx2xxx, and even compared to the rx3xxx though the difference is not as noticeable).

The blue tint basically means that colours seem washed-out and slightly off. When looking at photos, the colours just don't seem as vivid as they should.

See for yourself:

http://img191.exs.cx/img191/4250/x50screencapture21mv.jpg

On the left-hand side you see the actual image. On the right, you can see the X50's display in a dark room.

(Edit: although I didn’t get to perform the same test on the X50v's VGA screen, it seems that it too has a strong cool colour bias. )

These shortcomings are not as noticeable during the day, but they're easy to detect in a low-light setting.

Here's a the X50's display during the day (left) and night (right):

http://img191.exs.cx/img191/8880/x50screencapturenightday28tg.jpg

The colours look much better during the day.

So, Is there anything you can do?

If you’re using a program like Resco’s Image viewer, then you can make certain changes in order to improve the appearance of yours photos. This won’t fix the problem, but at least it masks some of the symptoms.

for example, if you make the following adjustments:
+14 Red
+21 Green
-31 Blue
+21 Contrast

you end-up with the image on the left as opposed to the image on the right:

http://img204.exs.cx/img204/9149/newold1xg.jpg

As you can see, the image on the left is more vivid and has truer colours.

Here's a better test:

http://img66.exs.cx/img66/9878/origold28up.jpg

The original image is on the left while the X50's display (in a dark room) is on the right.

You can clearly see that the shades of grey actually look like shades of light blue. During the day, this isn't very noticeable, but at night it becomes obvious

once again, if you play with Resco's settings, you might end-up with the image on the left:

http://img204.exs.cx/img204/3706/newold25qn.jpg

Now, the shades of grey look more natural. The yellow and green also look more vivid.

but Resco isn't around when I'm looking at my today screen.

http://img204.exs.cx/img204/5489/todaycolourtest4hk.jpg

Am I being too picky? probably.
On most reviews though... they say that the X50 has one of the best QVGA screens out there, so I had high expectations.

surur
03-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Your picture on my loox 720. Its overexposed due to the flash being so close, but the greens are green and the white sky is white.

Surur

http://surur.sytes.net/looxpic.jpg

Orbsplateau
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
thanks Surur... i appreciate you taking the time to post your results. your display certainly looks more colourful.

I edited my message a bit and added a day-time picture. Things look better during the day - though still not that great.

Now I'm just curious to see how this looks on an rx3xxx or h4xxx... if I can, I'll test it out this weekend.

Don't Panic!
03-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Which program are you using to view the picture on each device? The Pictures program?

Orbsplateau
03-04-2005, 04:49 AM
"Don't Panic!" .... :lol: always funny

Anyhow, I've used Applian Picture Perfect and Resco Picture Viewer and I get the same results either way.

I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't take a picture, but I viewed the same image on a friend's RX3115 and the colours are difinitely more vivid on the ipaq. :?

Atomb
03-05-2005, 07:28 AM
"Don't Panic!" .... :lol: always funny

Anyhow, I've used Applian Picture Perfect and Resco Picture Viewer and I get the same results either way.

I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't take a picture, but I viewed the same image on a friend's RX3115 and the colours are difinitely more vivid on the ipaq. :?

have you tried adjusting the colour settings in Resco Photo Viewer? I just tried your pic on my X50 in Resco Photo Viewer and adjsted the reds/blues/greens and it looks pretty good with a quick adjustment.
(i don't have a camera handy to post a pic of the screen, but you can try for yourself)

Orbsplateau
03-06-2005, 07:41 AM
have you tried adjusting the colour settings in Resco Photo Viewer? I just tried your pic on my X50 in Resco Photo Viewer and adjsted the reds/blues/greens and it looks pretty good with a quick adjustment.
(i don't have a camera handy to post a pic of the screen, but you can try for yourself)

Hey Atomb,

yes, I can confirm that things can definitely be adjusted in Resco in order to improve the appearence of the image.

for example, the following adjustments should make a big improvement:
+14 Red
+21 Green
-31 Blue
+21 Contrast

I added some test screens to my original post.

Menneisyys
03-06-2005, 11:52 AM
This does NOT refer to the X50v
I hope this doesn't offend any X50 fans out there... but the X50's screen is somewhat disapointing (at least compared to my old h1910 and cassiopeia E200).

Well, it's very hard (or even impossible) to beat the iPAQ 1910 / the old Cassiopeia screens :)

Orbsplateau
03-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, it's very hard (or even impossible) to beat the iPAQ 1910 / the old Cassiopeia screens :)

appearently, that seems to be the case! :?

why is that? do the new screens consume less power? are they a lot cheaper to make? are they more durable? can they sing and dance?

Anyway, based on what I've seen, the rx3115 and hx2410 have pretty decent screens. Side-by-side, you'll notice higher contrast and more saturation on the ipaqs compared to the x50 (unfortunately I can't directly compare them to my old 1910 since it's broken).

Dell, if you're listening out there:
+14 Red
+21 Green
-31 Blue
+21 Contrast

(hmm... I wonder if there's a utility that lets you adjust these settings on a pocketPC)

or get your LCDs from the same mfg that HP is getting theirs from. The x50 is a fine machine. It deserves a better display.

surur
03-06-2005, 05:12 PM

apparently, that seems to be the case! :?

why is that? do the new screens consume less power? are they a lot cheaper to make? are they more durable? can they sing and dance?

I believe the new screens are transreflective (or transflective), which means they incorporate a reflective layer to supplement the backlight. This dramatically improves performance in sunlight, when the sun is many times more powerful than your backlight could ever be. The trade off is less light transmitted from the backlight.

The older screens were pure transmissive LCD's, like your desktop, and looked brilliant inside, but were completely washed out and illegible outside.

I prefer the current balance vs the very one sides usefulness of the old screens.

Surur

Orbsplateau
03-06-2005, 05:55 PM
The older screens were pure transmissive LCD's, like your desktop, and looked brilliant inside, but were completely washed out and illegible outside.

Definitely, that's true for some of the old Cassiopeia screens.

But the h19xx and h4xxx have transreflective screens and even during daylight I got great colour performance out of my 1910 (better than the x50).

Then again, you're probably right in that the newer screens might indeed be more optimized for day-time use. That may be why the X50's display looks better during the day.

Menneisyys
03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
based on what I've seen, the rx3115 and hx2410 have pretty decent screens. Side-by-side, you'll notice higher contrast and more saturation on the ipaqs compared to the x50 (unfortunately I can't directly compare them to my old 1910 since it's broken).

They aren't as good IMHO. Have a look at these comparative screenshots: http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=550&p=2

Bonez424
03-07-2005, 03:43 AM
I have the answer to your problem :mrgreen:
Follow the instructions on this page http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=61282 and with a little tweaking you should have colors just as good as anyone else's ppc

Menneisyys
03-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I have the answer to your problem :mrgreen:
Follow the instructions on this page http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=61282 and with a little tweaking you should have colors just as good as anyone else's ppc

The contrast hack only works with PDA's equipped with the Intel 2700g processor, and it can only 'decrease' the contrast.

Bonez424
03-08-2005, 02:27 AM
oh ok nevermind :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lukas44
03-09-2005, 02:47 AM
The Dell screens(forX50v) are made by Sharp now, another before(for X5), and will be switching again, I herd to Samsung... So soon this blue issue may change totally!
I think the screen's cool blue color was intentional, to get away from the worse problem HP had with yellow screens.

Also I noticed this screen coolness on my Dell Axim30s (I purchased for my kids), It looks rather smooth & soft on the eye.
I also noticed these screens have changed.
I first purchased the Axims in june, when they first came out. Later I had them replaced in August & december.
The X30high replaced due to screen sensitivity, then later the X30mid due to pin connector.
On both occasions the X30mid screen was same, very good, though soft.
But the X30high screen had changed. Side by side, It had more contrast and looked stronger, but still was not as sensitive as the mid model!
So I believe that Dell had changed the screens, or screen manufacturer updated without notice.

Mobile-review's VGA comparison review says that Asus looks slightly blue too. Pics they posted looked of a pre-prod model.
My Asus looks and is totally white... I tested with the same pics here(1st page).

I herd similar yet opposite issue happened with the loox.
People complained of yellow screens in early units.
But looking at the pic above I would say it has been adressed.
I would predict the same for Dell..

Wait a while. I waited 2 months to replace the x30s screen, because I herd this was an issue with some early units.

Muntasser
03-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi, so are there any solutions for the X50?

I haven't got my PPC yet, but I definitely want my screen to shine in all its glory when it arrives :)

CHeers

-M

Darius Wey
03-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi, so are there any solutions for the X50?

Are you referring to screen protectors? Your best bet would be the ones offered by Pocket PC Techs. (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/) They deliver decent quality every time. ;)

intothevoid
03-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi,
I bought the Dell Axim X50 very recently and I love it. I agree with the fact that the screens are transreflective. That's very important when you use your PDA's outside. And for the price compared to HP. Dell's deal is far much better in what it comes with. Maybe thats why the VGA chip is gonna make things better but its too expensive right now.