View Full Version : How can I stream video , pictures, and music to my Pocket PC?

ToddJ
03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
What program can I use to stream video, pictures, music, etc. to my Pocket PC?

ToddJ
03-04-2005, 05:51 AM
anyone?

GSmith
03-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Notice that a lot of people responded to your other requests. There may be a reason no one has responded to this one. Maybe no one knows the answer. Maybe your question is not detailed enough.

In my case, it was both.

What are you streaming from? Internal network or the internet? If internal, do you want to stream from a filesystem (Samba or something else) or from a Media Server (using UPnP)? If internet, using streamcast, shoutcast (are they different?) or something else? mp3 streaming? Streaming directly using HTTP or some other URL scheme?

I can't answer the question myself, but put more information in your request and you may get more responses. What exactly are you trying to do?

Check http://www.feederreader.com/mediachart.html for some (really scarce) information on streaming. Not all media applications seem to indicate their streaming capability. If you find more information, let me know so I can update my chart. There is also a page there with a list of home pages. Again, let me know what you discover, and I can add it to my chart.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
Catches video, too!
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

jcsickz
03-10-2005, 07:06 AM
windows media encoder :)

Sven Johannsen
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
That was a very succinct answer.

Todd, what do you really mean by streaming to your PPC? That term makes sense for music and video, but not so much for pictures. Streaming has to do with a server client relationship that manages bandwidth and buffering such that you can get a continuous media experience from a somewhat less than consistant connection. Windows Media Encoder is a free streaming server and Media Player on the PPC is a streaming client. That's why there is an Open URL option on the MP, to attach to a media server.

If you are just looking to open files that are not on your PPC, but on the network, that is not 'streaming' and can result in a less optimum experience as no buffering occurs. To do this requires a third party application such as NetRunner or Resco Explorer, which allows you to attach a network drive and execute files in place. The built in Explorer will let you attach to network shares but it will only let you copy files from the network to your PPC, not execute them off the share. I expect the decision to not allow that natively was based on the connectivity for PPCs being somewhat tenuous. Giving you the ability to have lousy media performance, or losing connection while you have a network resident file open and corrupting it, probably was deemed to be unwise.

jcsickz
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
check out www.orb.com it's pretty incredible

steppenwolf
03-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Right now I am using SnackAmp from http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/
It streams my music to my PPC. There are some limitations (the playlist is always under 101 mp3s, page display) because is not indented for PPC use.

I tried different versions including Andromeda but without any luck until I found SnackAmp.