View Full Version : Quicktime

kevinsky18
03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Any program for the PPC that will play quicktime movies?

kozak
03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Not quicktime directly, but quicktime MP4 format. You can open any .mov (quicktime file) and save as .mp4 file. Then use Betaplayer to play it. Work really nice. No dropped frames or anything. I noticed similar quality from MP4 and Divx/Xvid at similar file size.

GSmith
03-02-2005, 12:37 AM
I have been able to play .mov file using BetaPlayer. Some information on different media players is available at http://www.feederreader.com/mediachart.html

There are a few that say they play QT, but I would recommend BetaPlayer. Also make sure you download the (currently 2) plugins.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
Catches video, too!
www.FeederReader.com

Menneisyys
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
There are a few that say they play QT, but I would recommend BetaPlayer. Also make sure you download the (currently 2) plugins.

You don't need to download the plug-ins to play QT - version 0.5 (and all the latest beta versions - they are not worth downloading because 0.5 is the latest) already has QT support built-in.

BTW, if you're interested in how other QT-capable players fare against BetaPlayer. check out http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS . Alternatives (even commercial ones!) are all much worse than the free BetaPlayer.

kevinsky18
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Actually I use betaplayer already and it wouldn't play my QT movies. It told me I didn't have (svq1) and that I should check the webpage for codec plugins. But when I went to the webpage I could not find a plugin that said "SVQ1"

I then tried renaming the file to .MP4 as suggested and got the following error. (sorenson video 3, SVQ3) not found. Check webpage for codec plugin.

So if someone could link me up with the pluggins that i should have I would be very appreciative.

kozak
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Actually I use betaplayer already and it wouldn't play my QT movies. It told me I didn't have (svq1) and that I should check the webpage for codec plugins. But when I went to the webpage I could not find a plugin that said "SVQ1"

I then tried renaming the file to .MP4 as suggested and got the following error. (sorenson video 3, SVQ3) not found. Check webpage for codec plugin.

So if someone could link me up with the pluggins that i should have I would be very appreciative.

Did you say renaming? Don't rename, you need to save as mp4. Not just change the extension, if that's what you did. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Betaplayer. Version 0.5 is the latest one. Download the latest version here: http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

Menneisyys
03-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Are you sure you have the latest BP version?

You can also give a try to the other QT-compliant players (you can get the list of them from my image viewer review), but, as has already been stated, they are all inferior to BetaPlayer. You may have better luck with their QT compatibility, though.

kevinsky18
03-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I have the newest release .096

Menneisyys
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM

0.5 is the latest version; 0.096 is its predecessor.

Menneisyys
03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
You may also want to check out http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111612

kevinsky18
03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
ack! ok I'm not sure how I figured .096 was the newer version. Anyways i have version .5 now and the two plugins that were listed on the webpage but of course I still can't play the quicktime movies. I'm not sure on how to save a Quicktime movie as MP4 I guess I'll have to look around for somesort of conversion software. or will say Dr DivX work?

Anyways thanks for the input guys and I'll check out the thread mentioned

kozak
03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
ack! ok I'm not sure how I figured .096 was the newer version. Anyways i have version .5 now and the two plugins that were listed on the webpage but of course I still can't play the quicktime movies. I'm not sure on how to save a Quicktime movie as MP4 I guess I'll have to look around for somesort of conversion software. or will say Dr DivX work?

Anyways thanks for the input guys and I'll check out the thread mentioned

Just do File -> Export. Select Movie to MPEG4. That's it.

Orbsplateau
04-05-2005, 07:41 AM
so... did anyone find a way to play Quicktime MOV files enoded with SVQ1 (Sorenson svq1 video codec) on a pocket PC?

Betaplayer gives a missing codec message (but the audio works fine).
Converting the MOVs to Mp4/AVI is a painful option. We're talking converting over 100 files, each about 2-3MB.

A 3MB MOV file becomes a 13MB MP4 or AVI file.

Is there a way to somehow install the SVQ1 codec on a PPC?

Are there other PPC players that specifically play Quicktime files?

tdcao
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM

0.5 is the latest version; 0.096 is its predecessor.

Does any body know why there are a lot of software released to the public didn't start with version 1.xx but rather start with 0.xxx ?

The versioning scheme starting with 0.xxx is so confusing... I'm not complaining... since I know it could be worse... Imagine trying to figure out if BetaPlayer version 5E-1 is later BetaPlayer version 9.6E-2 or not... :?

I was just curious...

iorkara
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
i know theres a program called "PictPocket" which plays all Quicktime videos/formats. But its not freeware, you must buy it. I dont have it, but i know it plays all Quicktime videos, its the only program that does for PPC!

Orbsplateau
04-14-2005, 06:04 PM
i know theres a program called "PictPocket" which plays all Quicktime videos/formats. But its not freeware, you must buy it. I dont have it, but i know it plays all Quicktime videos, its the only program that does for PPC!

Thanks,

i tried Digisoft Pictpocket but unfortunately, it doesn't want to play these MOV files (it had no problem plaything my AVI video files).

iorkara
04-16-2005, 03:44 AM
i forget to say, the freeware edition doesnt play them, you must buy it and it must be the lastest edition/version. Thats wat i read in a article.

Orbsplateau
04-16-2005, 05:10 AM
What I tried was the retail version of Digisoft's PictPocket Cinema v4.0. It wasn't freeware. Not sure if that's the latest version though...