View Full Version : C and beginner questions :)

Highl1
03-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Well, i am new to programming, just started to learn C. My problem is next: Next week i am going on a trip, for 6 days, and i wont have time between two classes of programming to learn, and to write simple programs for practice. So i started to search for some C IDE for PocketPC
I found pgcc which is a compiler, not an IDE (if i got that right), but i failed, cause i couldnt compile my programs. Can someone please explain me all the steps from compiling to testing the programs on PocketPC (i have hx4700) using pgcc. Also if u have some IDE please explain me how to set it up. Thanks in advance, i know that my questions are probably noobish, and that maybe i could use the search to find answers, but i simple dont have time, i already lost like 2 hours to find out how to setup pgcc.

Typhoon
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Sorry if this post isn't helpful enough. W/out an IDE, what you need is:

1) Pocket GCC compiler tools (which is what you have probably downloaded)

2) Pocket Command (a console or command prompt for you PPC--which might have already been included w/the compiler tools zip file--you must install this)

3) And your basic text editor (like Pocket Word or others that are freeware --www.freewareppc.com might have something)

What you need to do from here is to use the text editor to write the code, save it, then use the Console to run gcc to execute the code. Just like that. It doesn't take long and just needs some getting used to. But I have never done it, the concept is the same as the desktop.

lol you probably knew this already, huh?

wocket
03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
You could give c# a go. I hav'nt looked at this for some time now but it comes with an IDE.. Pocket C# (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=15125)

ppcinfo
03-02-2005, 12:17 AM
If your Desktop PC runs Windows 2000 or XP, you can download free development software from Microsoft. Go go www.pocketpc.com and search the developer section. Microsoft provides tools such as Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 and 4.0 for mobile devices free of charge. You can simply download the install files from their site.

These are the basic tools that most people use for creating Pocket PC/Mobile device applications. You can also check out www.pocketpcdn.com for additional resources and information.

Hope this helps.

ppcinfo

Typhoon
03-02-2005, 06:53 AM
I think he wants mobile, right?