View Full Version : Best task manager

Robb Bates
02-28-2005, 07:41 PM
I have an Axim x50v and was using Wisbar Advance 2. I'm quite disappointed with all the bugs and how SLOOOOOOWWWWW it is.

Here's what I liked about WA2 and/or hope to find in another program:

Real Close button
Battery and possibly memory monitor on the task bar
Cascading Start menu
Time/Date on task bar
Quick launch bar

Don't like / Could care less about:
Skinning
Sound effects
other cutesy stuff
Notifications obfuscated

What do y'all use or suggest?

Robb

Ripper014
02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
I agree with you... he really needs another variant of Wisbar2... one that just works... without all the extra modules to slow it down. Something that is small and fast... having more is not always better.

We need something lean and mean.

Zidane
02-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I agree with you... he really needs another variant of Wisbar2... one that just works... without all the extra modules to slow it down. Something that is small and fast... having more is not always better.

We need something lean and mean.
He's actually working on that, due to the number of requests he receives.

cuteseal
03-01-2005, 01:16 AM
I used to use Wisbar Advance, but it doesn't display the notification stuff for pocketpc phones too well.

So I'm now using Magic Button from Trancreative - it works a treat! I doesn't replace any of the notification items and keeps the same UI that you're used to. But if you hold down the magic button, it switches to a task manager / switcher mode.
http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx

Jules

Robb Bates
03-01-2005, 02:53 AM
So I'm now using Magic Button from Trancreative - it works a treat!

You absolutely ROCK! Magic button is exactly what I was looking for. And it's FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!! The only single thing it's missing is a memory monitor... but that's not that big of a deal. I'm in love with this!!!

OK, maybe the cascading menus would be nice, but I think there is a separate program that will do that. But I can't remember what it's called. Anyone????

MB Convert Robb

Darius Wey
03-01-2005, 08:01 AM
So I'm now using Magic Button from Trancreative - it works a treat!

You absolutely ROCK! Magic button is exactly what I was looking for. And it's FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!! The only single thing it's missing is a memory monitor... but that's not that big of a deal. I'm in love with this!!!

Spb Pocket Plus has a memory monitor, but if it's not a big deal, then Magic Button should work fine for you.

OK, maybe the cascading menus would be nice, but I think there is a separate program that will do that. But I can't remember what it's called. Anyone????

There are a few out there, but SmallMenuPlus (http://tillanosoft.com/ce/smenu.html) is one of the more widely recognised.

Kowalski
03-01-2005, 08:40 AM
i am using wisbar advanced for about a year and i can say that i am a big fan. i was so excited about the reliase of 2 version but as i install the new version i didnt like it at all! now i am using the latest 1.x version and very happy with the old version.

it is very funny that, the older version is better and free, but you have to pay for worse!

Robb Bates
03-01-2005, 02:46 PM
it is very funny that, the older version is better and free, but you have to pay for worse!

You are correct sir! I too was a very happy user of version 1.3.2.2 and still am on my wife's h2215 (hand-me-down from me). It's fast, clean, does what it says.

But version 2, which I have to use because I have WM2003SE, is slow, very buggy and just too frustrating. I'm really sad to see this unfortunate turn of events for the developer. I'm not sure if it's bad coding, feature bloat, or what, but after trying the latest beta time and time again, I just gave up.

Robb

Islanti
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
To each his or her own, I guess. Wisbar Advance 2 runs really well for me, and looks terrific. I've played with some other choices, but WA2 is the only program which gives me the features, speed, and skinning I want, without a huge memory footprint.

Ripper014
03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
To each his or her own, I guess. Wisbar Advance 2 runs really well for me, and looks terrific. I've played with some other choices, but WA2 is the only program which gives me the features, speed, and skinning I want, without a huge memory footprint.

I agree with you... with the exception of the word SPEED I don't think you can use it with WisBar Advanced. I too am a dedicated user of the original version of Wisbar... and have been for years... I have tested Advanced over and over... and find it slow. I guess I will have to continue to wait until a version that serves my needs gets released.