View Full Version : Question on I-6315 vs. HTC XDA III and T-mobile

rdaprix
02-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi guys—been a while since I’ve seen some of you.

Here’s the dilemma; I need to buy a ‘Goodlink’ compatible handset. I’m currently on T-mobile, but could do the early cancellation if I needed to.

My choices are the I-6315 or the Blue Angel XDA-III. The problem is T-mobile doesn’t offer the XDA-III here, but I suspect I could buy one abroad for the t-mobile network and shove my SIM in. I could also go for the I-6315.

Advantages of the I-6315: not as thick as the XDA III with the integrated keyboard, if the keyboard breaks you replace the detachable keyboard instead of the whole device. I can get it and it’s supported in the US.

Advantages of the XDA III: twice the RAM, keyboard is always available as it’s integrated, but you can’t buy the device here and it’s unlikely to be supported if you have a problem.

So, I can settle for the I-6315 (Yeah, I know, they’ve had some problems, but T-mobile just issued a new release and those issues have been resolved) and carry around the keyboard and have half the RAM, or I can get the XDA III from Europe and be on my own.

What would you do?

Anyone know if T-mobile is going to offer the MDA-III (the “Blue Angel”) here in the US?

I need to buy in the next week or two. Thanks!

snayar
02-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I would stay away of the 6315 just for the slow processor alone, and not to mention the lack of memory.

These devices NEED lots of free memory to operate at reasonable speeds.

I have the MDAII which has the same specs of the XDAIII minus the integrated Keyboard and WiFi and have had no problems whatsoever. (I purchased mine at www.gsmphonesource.com) but will soon upgrade it to an i-mate PDA2k!

I would recommend you the i-MATE PDA2K because of the well known online support they offer. You can get one at a reasonable price at http://www.dweiniger.com and since it's the same device as the XDA, MDA family you can make use of the fabulous www.xda-developers.com forums, where you can find answers to almost anything related to these HTC Devices.

Good luck!

tekhound
02-28-2005, 08:16 PM
I have a imate PDA2K, good link and a tmobile account. Everything is working great.

When I received my imate, I just called my T-Mobile rep and he had a SIM chip sent out.

The only thing you need to do is set the GPRS internet connection:

START/Settings/Connections and click the Connections applet
Advanced Tab and click Select Networks button
Click on edit button of my ISP
Click NEW
Name for connection: T-Mobile (or whatever you want)
Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS) and click NEXT
Access point name: internet2.voicestream.com and click NEXT
Click FINISH

You should now be able to surf the net. Once you have verified internet connectivity, provision the GoodLink client on the handheld.

Good Luck!

-Michael

rdaprix
03-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I have a t-mobile SIM for my GSM phone, so that should be no problem. It looks like I need to order the imate PDA2K (someone said I might be able to get T-mobile to order it for me and give me the $100 rebate) and then sync it, configure the internet and e-mail client and then send it to my corporate headquarters so they can install and provision the goodlink service.

I wish it were less expensive, but I really think it’s important to have the slide out keyboard and the Bluetooth and WIFI access for hotspots and broadband (in NYC there are plenty of free places wired for free broadband WIFI—GPRS will do in a pinch, but for surfing, I want the true WIFI).

Looks like this is the only way to get the Blue Angel on the T-mobile network. I’m surprised they don’t offer it as the MDA III here in the US.

snayar
03-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Hey rdaprix, good choice!!! :)

You will not regret it...

And if you think about it, they are not that expensive after all!

I see it this way:

1.- Pocket PC with 128MB of RAM costs almost $600 dollars
2.- Nice GSM Phone costs around $200 dollars

Total $800 that's how much the i-mate PDA2K costs!!! ;)

P.S.- Actually, you can put in whatever SIM card you get since they come unlocked (at least if you purchase one from one of the suppliers I mentioned before.)

rdaprix
03-01-2005, 02:37 AM
You’re right, and that’s about what I paid for the XDA-II PPCPE two years ago when I got done with the upgrades and SD card, but the thing is, my company would buy me just the regular old hardware goodlink device for free. But really—who wants to carry around the Batman utility belt? (I told my boss if he’s forcing the damn goodlink on me than I either the Blue Angel or he gets me the battarang and smoke pellets to go with the belt.

Seriously, I hate having to have a goodlink/RIM pager, but if I have to, then I want one device for everything with aq good form factor and utility, and then to be able to pop the SIM out at night so I don’t get hassled and pop it into my motorolla V-60 when I go out to dinner with my wife.

The thing is, the company will only pay what they would have on the regular device, so I have to sweet talk them into letting me expense it or hide the new toy expense from my wife ;) Shhhhh….. (she hates how much I spend on all this crap, but I hate carrying detachable keyboards and stuff). Still, when I get done with the right case (EB) and the extra sync/charge cables and power adapter for a 9-v battery in case I’m not near an outlet and the extra power cord charger, I’ll be up to a grand. Oh well.

The price we pay for early adoption. Maybe it’ll sail through the expense department. If not, at least it’s a tax deduction!

Holy dollar signs Batman—you can ditch that ridiculous bulging belt with a cell phone, PDA, RIM pager, MP-3 player and accessories and put ‘em all on one device!

snayar
03-01-2005, 06:46 PM
... either the Blue Angel or he gets me the battarang and smoke pellets to go with the belt.

... Holy dollar signs Batman—you can ditch that ridiculous bulging belt with a cell phone, PDA, RIM pager, MP-3 player and accessories and put ‘em all on one device!

LOL!!! That was so funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: