View Full Version : Email sync problem

bigkingfun
02-28-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm having trouble synchronizing my email and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. When I enable the Inbox sync option in Activesync, I get a synchronization error. My x50v connects briefly, then the error pops up in Activesync for a second or two and then it disconnects completely. Syncing works fine for all other options - I only get the error when email is enabled.

I have tried creating a completely new Outlook.pst file on the desktop and even with no email in the inbox I still get the error. I don't have any other email accounts set up on the Pocket PC, strictly Activesync.

I was initially running Activesync 3.7.1 when the error started. I don't recall anything specific that changed when it started happening. It was time for a reformat on my desktop anyway, so I just finished reformatting/reinstalling everything from the ground up. I'm running Activesync 3.8 now but it's doing the same thing.

I've searched the forums here and on Microsoft's support site, but couldn't find anything. Has anyone got any ideas?

I appreciate any help - I'm feeling lost without access to my email on my PPC.

ctmagnus
02-28-2005, 07:28 AM
You don't happen to sync with an Exchange server, do you? If not, check Tools -> Options in AS on the desktop when the device is connected.

Every once in a while, my iPaq will disconnect from AS when cradled. I turn it off and back on, AS starts up again, and I get "one or more items cannot be synchronized" on either Calendar, Contacts or Inbox, and the offending item is enabled to sync with an Exchange server at that point. However, I don't sync with an Exchange server so why that gets checked by itself is beyond me.

bigkingfun
02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't sync with an Exchange server but this suggestion brings up another problem. When I go into the options and try to bring up the settings for the inbox, the "opening databases" message flashes quickly and the settings screen doesn't open.

It's obviously related, but I've never noticed this before.

Cybrid
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't sync with an Exchange server but this suggestion brings up another problem. When I go into the options and try to bring up the settings for the inbox, the "opening databases" message flashes quickly and the settings screen doesn't open.

It's obviously related, but I've never noticed this before.

Could simply be possible that the email database is somehow corrupt. Bo a backup and try ot sync. If it doesn't then restore and you'll have lost nothing.

ctmagnus
02-28-2005, 10:46 PM
This sounds like a bit of a stretch considering you've started a new pst file, but have you tried running Scanpst.exe (C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\SCANPST.EXE) on the pst?

bigkingfun
02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I just tried the Inbox repair tool. It found some errors, but fixing them didn't solve this problem. It may have solved other problems, so thanks for that :D

Thanks to both of you fellow British Columbians for the advice...

ctmagnus
02-28-2005, 11:28 PM
:beer:

Cybrid
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
I just tried the Inbox repair tool. It found some errors, but fixing them didn't solve this problem. It may have solved other problems, so thanks for that :D

Thanks to both of you fellow British Columbians for the advice...

It found some errors, but fixing them didn't solve this problem
So...you still need some help? not sure about that. On my previous post , I just realized my dyslexia is showing... :oops:
what I mean is after your format, reinstall....the problem isn't in your PC therefore it's the PPC...

Do a full back up
hard reset
sync and see it if works
If it does, work on a fresh build
If it doesn't, simply restore and you are exactly back to where you are now.