View Full Version : Overclocking

Annejillian
02-27-2005, 05:46 PM
I could see the benefit of these overclocking softwares- but is there any possibility these will hurt my machine? I don't want to damage my unit for the gain of a little speed! Are there any you would recommend? What settings? Thanks for the help! ~Anne

PS- Ipaq 3835

MitchellO
02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Overclocking your PPC causes the processor to run faster and as a result create more heat. To must heat and you can damage the processor and other components, potentially shortening the life or even damaging the hardware. A little is ok, to much extra and you are asking for trouble.

uzetaab
02-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Personally, I've never been a fan of overclocking anything. There's too much risk, for too little gain. But I think overclocking a PDA is just crazy. If you are gunna overclock something, you need to add more colling devices, like extra fans in your computer, but there isn't much you can do to add cooling to a PPC.

yankeejeep
02-28-2005, 04:20 PM
The biggest benefit I have found with overclocking software is not necessarily the added speed. Both Pocket HackMaster and XCPUScalar add more refined load scaling, so that when the CPU load is lower, you can slow the CPU and use less power. Even if your device came with a scaling app, you will find either of these to give you more control over where the load switching occurs and how much latency to assign (i.e. how much time to delay between a load change and the assigned speed switch; helpful since many load changes are temporary). Their biggest drawback that I have experienced is that there can be instability and locking issues when running faster than your chip's tested speed. This isn't universal but I have encountered it when testing both the above apps on my Toshiba e805.

jickbahtech
02-28-2005, 09:40 PM
As long as you're careful a little push should be OK.
I could safely boost my 3950 by about 10%, and have it completly stable. The big draw for me was dropping the unit down to 100Mhz, and turning the screen off, so while listening to music I would get insane battery life.

Honestly, the worst I've heard from the OC camp is trying to Boost to high, locking up the device, and having to hard reset. I don't believe I've heard of anyone Overclocking so high that it caused meltdown.

Kowalski
03-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't believe I've heard of anyone Overclocking so high that it caused meltdown.

agree with you. i bealive that the cpu has some sort of protecting mechanism againist exteme heat and voltage