View Full Version : Has anyone synchronized with ActiveSync over bluetooth?

humayunl
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I recently replaced my MS BT stack with the Widcomm.
It worked, i was detecting other devices, sending business cards and doing basic BT stuff...

Then I got me a bluetooth USB adapter for my laptop and and decided to do other cool stuff like activesync over BT and creating a LAN or PAN connection etc.

First of all, with the lameass MS atck on XP that comes free with SP2, there arent any services for a serial port connection over BT (required for activesync) or FTP or LAN etc. So I have to install the software that came with the BT adapter (software called BlueSoleil and pretty good, not that I would know).

So with the new software now i have all theses services running. I have been able to make an ftp connection and transfer files. but I can't get activesync to work.

:( Has anyone dones this? What am I missing?

Islanti
02-24-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm not an expert in troubleshooting Activesync-over-Bluetooth, but I do use it daily. You may want to try re-installing Activesync over your existing installation. The setup software seems to do some automatic configuration if it detects Bluetooth.

Beyond that, I can only tell you the basics... on my hx4700 running WIDCOMM / Broadcom's drivers you need to "Discover" the Activesync Bluetooth profile on your computer (there isn't really an Activesync profile, but this auto-launches Activesync when the serial port connects). Other than that, just make sure you have an incoming COM port mapped and turned on in your desktop Bluetooth settings and that Activesync is listening on that COM port.

Hope that helps!

OskiO
02-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Make sure you have the com ports for the bluetooth serial matched up. I had a similar problem with my BT and Activesync. My laptop gives my AS a com of 25 (don't know why it is so high) and all I can see in AS is com 1 and 4.

C

ChristopherTD
02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Before windows xp sp2 I was utterly unable to get AS to work over Bluetooth. I tried all sorts of things, and followed the guides at geekzone.co.nz and never got anywhere. The process even spontaneously hard reset my iPaq. I gave up.

A friend recently lent me a Bluetooth USB adapter for my notebook and I tried again.

I paired the devices using the standard WXP pairing dialogue. Then I followed the steps on the iPaq Bluetooth Manager to set up ActiveSync and it worked. I didn't install any extra software on the PC or the iPaq.

I was so impressed I purchased my own BT adapter, then a BT mouse, then a whole new laptop with Bluetooth built in!

humayunl
03-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I just posted the following on another thread.. but i think it belongs here....

I installed the device specific BT software (its called bluesoleil).
It seems to work well and has lots of (all that i can think of) services.

I got activesync to work at my work PC via BT. At first even after setting the com ports to the same value (7 in this case) it wasnt working but after trying 10 times suddenly they started talking.

however at home (which is where i REALLY need active sync to work) there's a different story. when i go into device manager i see MANY bluetooth serial com ports but they somehow start from like 11 and go all the way to like 19... i dont know why the number is so high...

anyway in bluetooth when i go to the connection settings dialog to set the com port for setial connection, i only see com port 1 and 9.... the one i need is com port 7 but its nowhere to be found..

any clues as to what i'm doing wrong?

ChristopherTD
03-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Have you paired the PocketPC with your PC at home to setup the Bluetooth connection? This is what creates the COM ports specific to your PocketPC (and they may be different to the ones on your work machine).

Once you are paired, then you can try to configure ActiveSync...

You might also look at geekzone.co.nz which has some walkthroughs that might help.

Hrun
03-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I was so impressed I purchased my own BT adapter, then a BT mouse, then a whole new laptop with Bluetooth built in!

Sigh! I sympathise totally, being "impressed" has cost me a lot of money over the years. :( :)

Having just spent 1 hr searching eBay for a cheap keyboard with lit up keys so I can type without turning on the room light, I have moved my keyboard to under the screen. I can see and have saved £20. BUT I will have one pne day as they are "impressive"

I do agree with the general opinion, you must pair the devices first, after that it should be logical.

pne = I need one as I cannot see as well as I hoped