View Full Version : PDA and Law Enforcement

PDANEWBIE
02-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow I just saw a news story for Orlando FL area. The local officers are going to get PDA's! Now get this, each officer is going to get a Ipaq PDA and it will outfitted with software and hardware to be able to print out traffic tickets and scan drivers licenses all for a low price of 3,500$! Whew and I thought my tax dollars were going to be wasted.

Am I wrong to think that 3,500 per device is a little outrageous considering the highest top of the line Ipaq is below 800?

ntractv
02-24-2005, 01:38 AM
It would seem so, but, I would venture to guess that most of the cost is for the software installed in order to process.

nodyel
02-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Being involved with a similar proposal, this sounds a not too 'way out' price. As ntractv mentioned, software would be a factor - a lot of it would probably be heavily customised applications, or even new from the ground up.

Next, I doubt a standard consumer grade PDA would be up to the types of usage that could be expected. I would suggest that they would be ruggedised versions.

Add to that the scanner, printer, mounting hardware, etc.. then it adds up pretty quickly.

PDANEWBIE
02-24-2005, 04:32 AM
I still don't see why they don't take the same app and put it on the laptops most of the cops already have in their cars.

I have yet ot see a ruggedized Ipaq I may have to speed more just to find a cop to pull me over to get a look at it :devilboy: