View Full Version : Who here uses Skype?

firescorpy
02-22-2005, 05:08 AM
I've been using Pocket PC for quite a while, but recently I've heard of Skype. Can anyone give me a brief description about this software? I am interested in using this with my iPAQ 4350. Also, can you use the Mic instead of a headset? Thanks so much. :D

Ripper014
02-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Skype is basically VOIP... I have used it with my Toshiba e830... there is no need for any additional equipment... the mic and speaker on the PocketPC are enough. The only other thing you require is internet access...

And of course an account...

firescorpy
02-22-2005, 05:53 AM
thanks!

krypticide
02-22-2005, 07:44 AM
I've never used Skype on Pocket PC, but I use it on my PC to talk to my parents and girlfriend back in the States while I'm in Singapore for a few months. Nothing like being connected 24/7 by phone. Makes my girlfriend happy.

firescorpy
02-22-2005, 09:57 PM
nice to hear! Anyways I got Skype but too bad not many people I know use it.

ipaq1940
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
One thing I have always wondered, speaking of needing an internet connection:
Is there a way to simulate an internet connection (not a pass through) that is able to be used with MSN messenger for Pocket PC through a cable?
EX: My brother is on our one computer, and i want to go on MSN messenger. The only way to use it is to have an internet connection. I can only get an internet connection though a passthrough, through the usb connection.

SO, bassically: How can I simulate an ACTUAL connection (NOT passthrough) through USB?

I want this to use Skype, as well (back on topic)

thx,
tor

Sven Johannsen
02-23-2005, 09:35 PM
If you have trouble with Skype, using the built in speaker and mic, and expect you will, use headphones (earphones). Doesn't need to be a headset, i.e. mic and headphone combo, just need to isolate the sound coming out of the PPC from the mic input. The 4350 doesn't have a mic input anyway.

Sven Johannsen
02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
able to be used with MSN messenger for Pocket PC through a cable?

SO, bassically: How can I simulate an ACTUAL connection (NOT passthrough) through USB?

I want this to use Skype, as well (back on topic)

What's the problem with using passthrough while he is on the PC, since you indicated cable/USB was OK. Different profile?

There is no way to attach the PPC to the PC with a cable and get an internet connection without using AS and it's passthrough feature.

To do it otherwise you would need to use the PCs Internet Connection Sharing capability, which requires you to share the internet connection with another network connection on the PC. That could be BT, WiFi, or theoretically a serial connection picked up as a Remote Access Server (RAS) connection.

I'd go for the BT option, where you would need BT hardware on the PPC (SD card) and on the PC, (USB dongle).

zilla31
02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
i love new technology and usually try and find a way to integrate whatever it is into my life - but i'm still struggling with the value of skype. while very "cool", the only real benefit i can see is being able to talk internationally for free (or at least for cheap w/ skypeOut). anyone who has a cell phone prob has free national calling - and the quaility of an actual phone is twice (at least) as good as using your PC/PPC. am i missing something?

ps - i'm not debating the value of VOIP overall (i use vonage at my house).

krypticide
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes, Skype is great! I totally rely on it while I'm here overseas in Singapore. I use Skype and MSN to talk to my parents and girlfriend.

While it's true that with free long distance on the cell phone, and always on connection, there's really no need for Skype. However, I disagree about the sound quality. The sound quality is incomparable. It's much much better than any land line or cell phone, believe me. If it's not better for you, something is wrong.

mredd27
02-28-2005, 12:21 AM
I've just discovered Skype and have been playing with it on my PC and PPC tonight. I have no real use for this sort of software, but I am a gadget freak who has to try out all the new technologies and the idea of a VOIP application for my iPAQ was just too tempting. :)

It's worth noting that the program is absolutely useless on my h2210 (and presumably all other PPC's) if you use the loudspeaker (due to the feedback), however if you use some headphones the program works perfectly.

Other than playing with it as a new feature I'm not sure what I'll possible use Skype for though. Since I never travel abroad it won't be replacing my land/mobile phones, and I prefer using text to voice when chatting to friends or family online because it's less intrusive. I do play the odd online gaming session so maybe I could use it to converse with my friends when we're on the same server, but then why not just run it on my desktop PC which would also allow conference calling?

For those that have the use for it I'm sure it's brilliant, and I'm glad they've recognised the potential for a PPC version of the software, but I just don't think I'll use it. One of my friends for example spends time in hotels that provide free WiFi connections, so for him and his PPC there is a need, but not for me.