View Full Version : Ipaq turns on by itself

Chris Pi
02-20-2005, 02:43 PM
For the last couple of days when I turn off my Ipaq 5550 I'll come back a couple of hours later and it will have turned itself back on. Just before I wrote this I set it to turn itself off after 5 minutes of not being used which will help for now but that's going to be a pain this summer when I use it to stream radio (where I don't want it to shut itself off). Does anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Chris

Jon Westfall
02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Do you have it set to activesync to a remote server at a certain interval? That may be what is causing it to come on continuously.

Chris Pi
02-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Do you have it set to activesync to a remote server at a certain interval? That may be what is causing it to come on continuously.

I just checked, nothing like that is set up in my active sync options. One thing I just thought of, I have 2 batteries and I changed them about a week ago and this started happening a few days later. Do you think if one of my batteries was going bad it could make my ppc exhibit this type of behaviour? It doesn't really make sense though because this happens when it is plugged into the wall socket so the batteries would be bypassed I would think.

Ultima
02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't think the battery is EVER bypassed on your model. Example: Plug your iPaq into the wall, pop the battery off, turn the iPaq on. I don't think it will turn on.

Aside from that, the 5400/5500 series seemed to be quite finicky sometimes. Try turning the unit off, popping the battery for a good 15 seconds or so, and putting it back in. That trick worked wonders for my 5455, and might fix your problem.

Chris Pi
02-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't think the battery is EVER bypassed on your model. Example: Plug your iPaq into the wall, pop the battery off, turn the iPaq on. I don't think it will turn on.

Aside from that, the 5400/5500 series seemed to be quite finicky sometimes. Try turning the unit off, popping the battery for a good 15 seconds or so, and putting it back in. That trick worked wonders for my 5455, and might fix your problem.

Ok, I'll give that a shot. Some more information though, I've been watching it more carefully and it's not just turning on by itself but soft-resetting itself (that's what turns it on). This is annoying because when I'm streaming audio with it and it soft resets itself I lose the stream every 10-20 minutes. Too bad it's out of warranty. This behaviour is exhibited with both my batteries too so it's not the battery but the unit itself that is the problem.

WyattEarp
02-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Make sure iPAQ Backup is not set to monitor the battery and backup at a certain power level. If it is it will turn the iPAQ on to check periodically.