View Full Version : Dell Axim X50's Lethal Cradle?

Jonathon Watkins
02-19-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=69777' target='_blank'>http://www.aximsite.com/boards/show...ead.php?t=69777</a><br /><br /></div>There's a worrying report over at Aximsite that 15% of Dell Axim 50's sold to Aximsite users since October exhibit problems related to their cradles. The figure is taken from an Aximsite poll with just over 200 responses. The cradles are shorting and causing either spontaneous reboots or, in many cases, burned out USB controllers on the motherboards of the host computers. Apparently some folks have had 2 consecutive motherboards rendered non-functional as a result of the problem. It appears that connecting the cradle to a powered hub may provide protection to the motherboard. Dell has not as yet commented on the issue. Have you guys had any similar problems with your X50 cradles or is everything just ticking over as expected?

jonathanchoo
02-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I remember my old h4150, when inserted into its cradle, would reboot my PC (EpoX 8RDA+ mobo) every once (maybe twice a month) in a while.

No permanent damages though.

Edit: It also causes the dreaded blue screen of death sometimes.

KuroNeko
02-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Jonathanchoo, what you describe sounds like voltage feedback - a current on the mass or one of the datalines of the USB bus that's not supposed to be there. This can happen with poorly designed self-powered USB devices.

This should normally not cause damage to the mainboard though, just may lead to a crashing PC. What the Axim cradle must be doing to actually destroy mainboards is create an actual shortcut or really excessive power demand.

A decent powered USB hub may protect against it. A good hub will disable a port that demands over 500mA of current. But if it is an actual 100% shortcut, not a rising power demand, the hub may fry and take the host controller with it anyway - depends on the hub quality.

Neko

hamishmacdonald
02-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Since using the Dell Axim cradle supplied with an x50v, when I plug a USB 2.0 device into either of my high-speed ports, I get a message saying, "This device could work faster in a high-speed port" (or something like that).

Deemo
02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Questionable Dell build quality rears it's ugly head again.
Glad I stuck with HP!

Can you imagine the usual hassle with Dell Support trying to prove this one 8O

F_B_i
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
I had those reboot problems also - whenever I tried to softreset the device while it was in the cradle it restarted my computer... I had my cradle connected to USB hub, I pluged it later striaght to PC USB connector and no more unexpected reboots for me. Also I did not sustain any damage to my computer.

rapster
02-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I use my cradle only for charging, so it's not connected to my PC (I sync via Bluetooth exclusively).

x999x
02-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow, hard to believe that awesome looking cradle has problems... I mean that thing is like the Deathstar of cradles!

Hugh Nano
02-19-2005, 09:16 PM
No noticeable problems so far with my x50v cradle - hope that continues... Plenty of problems with the x50v itself, though! The ROM upgrade helped, but still hasn't entirely solved network card/bluetooth driver problems... Wonder if iPAQ loyalists are experiencing fewer difficulties...

drop
02-19-2005, 11:13 PM
No problem to report.

Mona13
02-20-2005, 03:05 AM
So far, I haven't had any problems with the cradles. I have one for work &amp; one for home. I also bought a couple of extra batteries. One Dell and one Mugen. At this point, I'm very glad I went with Dell for the x50v. I haven't done the ROM update because my x50v works great. I really like it. I have had less problems with it (knock on wood) than I had with iPAQs. I was concerned about going from the 128 to 64 memory, but it hasn't been a problem. The screen quality for movies is excellent! Better than anything I've had before and less expensive too.

Previously, I have only have iPAQs, from the 3600 to the 5555. I had trouble with the 5455 spontaneously hard resetting by itself. If it had been soft resetting, I could have lived with that, but even with Sprite back-up it was such a hassle with hard resets, and never at a convenient time! My 5555 unit worked for quite a while and then the WLAN quit working. If CompUSA had been able to replace mine with a working unit, I would have been pleased and never tried another brand.

My experience in trying to get a replacement with my TAP from CompUSA was 4 refurbished 5555's, all with different problems, from hard resetting to not charging, Even spare batteries that charged fine with other units weren't charging with one of the units. CompUSA was very professional in handling my claim and I'm pleased, but the process is not overnight like I thought it was. It took several days after submitting my claim before approval. After it was approved, they did send overnight.

I plan on ordering my daughter a Dell x50v, probably within the next week or so. I checked the website last night and the x50v wasn't listed. Hopefully it will be back again very soon.

Mona

mr_Ray
02-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Has nobody considered that this could be a Dell scam to sell more desktop PCs? :devilboy:

They're sending out their demonic X50 minions to destroy the PCs of the world... open your eyes, people! :mrgreen:

davea
02-20-2005, 04:24 AM
Very satisfied with my Dell X50 and it's associated cradle.
No reboots or other abnormal behavior. A+++ so far.

ChunkyMonkey
02-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Glad I stuck with HP!

Ummm...The Dell x50's are actually produced by HTC. The same company that made the 1900, 2215 and 4150 series iPaq's (maybe some of the other older ones as well).

The newest iPaqs are designed in-house.

JonathanWardRogers
02-20-2005, 07:05 AM
I was a Casio user (E100, EM500 - my wife still uses it) until the E-200 joke, switched to HP (2215) and it literally fell apart. My Dell is working great, no sync problems.

Len Egan
02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
My cradle fried my desktop motherboard at work. Ironically, it is a Dell desktop it fried! :oops:

Jonathon Watkins
02-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I have had no problems with my cradle, but I have it plugged into an external USB hub.

christak
02-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Glad I stuck with HP!

Ummm...The Dell x50's are actually produced by HTC. The same company that made the 1900, 2215 and 4150 series iPaq's (maybe some of the other older ones as well).

The newest iPaqs are designed in-house.

The "glad I stuck with HP" makes me laugh! You obviously haven't spent any time on the HP forums lately... HP's QA on its "new" devices is a joke!

KuroNeko
02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Since I'm buying a new VGA PPC real soon and have to choose between X50v and 4700, this issue interests me.

Could you point to what the problems with the 4700 are? I checked the Ipaq forums but could not see any real bad issues like with the Dells, just minor problems.

A link would be nice, thanks!

Neko

Shrink
02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I originated that poll and have been trying to get to the bottom of it. I had 2 Asus P4C800e-deluxe motherboards' usb controllers fried before Dell replaced the X50v and cradle. There are a few reports of other folks frying 2 motherboards, thinking (as I did) that the first board was ready to go anyways. One poor guy said that four motherboards on work computers got fried from the cradle.

Fortunately, as it is now, there is only one report of the cable causing a reboot. There have been no reports of problems when a powered hub is used. The main thing is - if you experience spontaneous reboots or bsod's upon plugging in your axim, contact Dell and demand they replace your device and cradle.

It also appears as though the problem is not limited to a bad batch of cradles as the frequency of the problems is stable over November, December and January.

boeman
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I have had no issues so far... I've been keeping track of the issue at aximsite, and keeping up to date on any new symptoms so I know if my x50v is showing signs of causing issues.

Shrink
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I have had no issues so far... I've been keeping track of the issue at aximsite, and keeping up to date on any new symptoms so I know if my x50v is showing signs of causing issues.

If you have had your device for a few weeks already and have had no signs of the problem, then you are almost certainly okay. There typically aren't any subtle signs - if you haven't had frequent spontaneous reboots when putting the axim in the cradle and your hardware is okay, then rest assured. I am using my replacement Axim and cradle normally with no safety precautions other than using a powered hub.

boeman
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
If you have had your device for a few weeks already and have had no signs of the problem, then you are almost certainly okay. There typically aren't any subtle signs - if you haven't had frequent spontaneous reboots when putting the axim in the cradle and your hardware is okay, then rest assured. I am using my replacement Axim and cradle normally with no safety precautions other than using a powered hub.
I don't use the cradle at home very often... I'm still a little worried about that one. The cradle at work is efinately fine, though.

I'm thinking I may put one of my USB bluetooth adapters on my home PC and only sync via BT at home.