View Full Version : PocketPC as gubbins for Digital PhotoFrame

MacBriar
02-19-2005, 02:19 AM
While lying on my sofa this afternoon enjoying a pipe (of tobacco!) I had a moment of rare inspiration. It was almost what happens in the Diskworld where inspiration particles sleeting through the universe sometimes intersect whith peoples heads.

Anyway enough rambling my earth shattering idea would be to attach a pocketPC to the rear of a LCD Monitor using a VGA connection and then display photos stored either on a memory card of even better via wireless from a home media server.

Currently the only PocketPC I can think of would be a Toshiba 700 series with the VGA adapter and WIFI.

Well what do others think of my brainstorm ?

Menneisyys
02-19-2005, 12:05 PM
While lying on my sofa this afternoon enjoying a pipe (of tobacco!) I had a moment of rare inspiration. It was almost what happens in the Diskworld where inspiration particles sleeting through the universe sometimes intersect whith peoples heads.

Anyway enough rambling my earth shattering idea would be to attach a pocketPC to the rear of a LCD Monitor using a VGA connection and then display photos stored either on a memory card of even better via wireless from a home media server.

Currently the only PocketPC I can think of would be a Toshiba 700 series with the VGA adapter and WIFI.

Well what do others think of my brainstorm ?

Actually, it's a very good and easily doable idea. You can get a CF/SD VGA card so that you don't need to resort to Toshiba devices. There're quite few of them: the Margi Presenter-to-Go, the Colorgraphics Voyager CF and the Pretec VGA CF card.

For a more generic (multiplatform, non-CF-based etc), albeit a "bit" more pricey solution, I'd get the Mobility Electronics Pitch Duo Presentation Device. It really rocks! See http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=115844 .

A lot of image viewers/slideshow programs are capable of using VGA cards to show images in VGA resolution (even on a QVGA PDA!) on an external VGA monitor. See the "Support for SD/CF VGA cards/ jackets/ VGA output?" row in the concluding table at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS for the VGA output compatibility of the current image veiwer apps on the PPC platform.