View Full Version : iPaq 1940 and POP3 problems

veethree
02-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I have an iPaq 1940 and am using Commontime mNotes to synch with my office PC. That all works fine, but I've also set up a POP3 mailbox on the iPaq and the problem is that I can't send any mail from it. It receives mail from the account without a problem, but trying to send anything just gives me an "Invalid message recipients" message. This is using GPRS via a bluetooth connection to an SE K700i.

Anyone have any ideas as to a solution? I've asked this question on several other forums, as well as of Commontime's help desk, but everyone's been stumped.

yankeejeep
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Does the outgoing mail server require authentication? If so, check the advanced settings for the Messaging/Inbox account on your PPC and make sure you have checked the appropriate box. I think that the default when you set up a new account is for it to be unchecked.

veethree
02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Does the outgoing mail server require authentication? If so, check the advanced settings for the Messaging/Inbox account on your PPC and make sure you have checked the appropriate box. I think that the default when you set up a new account is for it to be unchecked.

Unfortunately I tried it both ways and that didn't seem to help. Good suggestion, though.

yankeejeep
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Is this an ISP-provided account? If so, it may only give you full access if you are making your connection through the ISP via dial-up networking. Since you are using GPRS, I assume that you are making the email connection over the internet through your cell provider's network. Strange as it may sound, retrieving POP3 email typically does not involve the same security as sending and it is easier to access your incoming mail than to send. I'm sure the intent is to make it more difficult for someone to send mail (like spam) through your account without your access information.

veethree
02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I think you're right. I tried setting up a Gmail account with POP3 access and I could both send and receive without a problem, so I'm sure that the problems on my other POP3 account are ISP related

Thanks for the help! I definitely learned something new today.

Sven Johannsen
02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Often ISPs use different server names for incoming and outgoing mail as well. Earthlink for instance used pop.earthlink.net for incoming (retrieval) and smtpauth.earthlink.net for outgoing (sending) if you were accessing from an outside network like a hotspot or hotel Lan, i.e., not conected via earthlink broadband or dialup. You might check with your ISP tech/customer support for specifics.

yankeejeep
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Good point, Sven. I have my Earthlink accounts set up on my PPC to use the smtpauth server at all times, so the mail goes whether I'm signed on through Earthlink, via wifi, or the Verizon Quick2Net service on my cell.