View Full Version : HPiPAQ 3715 How do I print from desktop?

JV
02-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi, I have an HP iPAQ3715 and I desperately need to print off the Excell sheets I've created. "Print Manager" on my ppc was no help at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, is there a book that tells me how to get the most out of this $600 gadget? HP included books on the entertainment side of the iPAQ but nothing on the productive/work side. Thanks to all who respond.

iPAQ Newbie

Sven Johannsen
02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
HP included books on the entertainment side of the iPAQ but nothing on the productive/work side. Thanks to all who respond.
iPAQ Newbie

Well you did buy a Media Companion model from HP ;) The 3715 comes with HP printing built in. It allows you to print to a fairly decent assortment of printers, mostly HP models, via BT, WiFi, IR, or other network connection. The easiest to set up is IR if you happen to have an HP printer that supports IR. If you don't, do you have printers on your network, either directly or tied to a PC and shared? Do you have any BT capable printers.

You can read more about it at http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/en/network_software/mobilepocket_overview.html and links starting there. There is some guidance at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=242184&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00037330

The thing to do is to start installing a printer on the PPC and see if one of the ones in the dropdown selection lists is available to you.

There are books on PPC use that you can get find at Amazon. Just search for Pocket PC. Make sure you find one that covers WM2003 Second Edition. They will cover the OS and most things common to all PPCs, but not things specific to the 3715 most likely. One title that crops up with every advance is 'How to do everything with your..." Sometimes the ... is PPC or iPAQ, or Jornada. Look to see if one more closely relates to yours. Next best is to play and ask questions here.

ch_thom
02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Have you tried moving the files via activesync to your PC and printing them from the desktop version of Excel?

JV
02-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the information. I never would have found it on the HP site. I have an HP Deskjet 840C connected to my desktop but it's not on the drop down list of HP printers listed on the Pocket Print config screen. Does this mean I have to get a new printer? Questions, questions... Thanks again for any and all help you can offer.

Cheers, John

Sven Johannsen
02-19-2005, 06:07 PM
No, you don't have to get a new printer, you can use ch_thom's suggestion. Is there some particular reason you have to print directly from the PPC? Sync or copy the spreadsheet to the PC and print from there.

The mobile prining is really a feature for when you are in a situation where you aren't partnered with a PC and need to print directly. To even use the mobile printing feature you would need a supported IR capable printer, or a supported BT capable printer, or have a Wifi network and have one of the supported printers accessible that way.

JV
02-20-2005, 06:02 PM
My computer is running a stripped down version of Windows 98. Not only do I not have Excel, there isn't even word proccessing. My other computer was running WindowsME before it died. I had considered getting a laptop instead of the iPAQ but I'm on the road a great deal and didn't want to have to deal with the weight issue. I suppose a new printer is cheaper than upgrading to Windows XP. Oh well. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers, John