View Full Version : 'Youth' Bible

darthbane2k
02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I have pocket e-sword and its great.
However I am looking for a simplified Youth bible or youth/simplifed bible commentary to use with it. Has anyone got any reccomendations / links?

Craig Horlacher
02-18-2005, 03:47 AM
However I am looking for a simplified Youth bible or youth/simplifed bible commentary to use with it. Has anyone got any reccomendations / links?
I don't know of any youth Bibles. I reccomend PocketBible from Laridian. It's got tons of Bible translations and reference books available including the The New Living, The Message, NIV Study Bible, Life Application Bible, Naves Concordance, and New Unger's Bible Dictionary. It's worth the money. They really did it right.

Jonathon Watkins
02-18-2005, 04:08 AM
I don't know of any youth Bibles. I reccomend PocketBible from Laridian. It's got tons of Bible translations and reference books available including the The New Living, The Message, NIV Study Bible, Life Application Bible, Naves Concordance, and New Unger's Bible Dictionary. It's worth the money. They really did it right.

Seconded, it's really good, though I do hope they finish their VGA aware version soon.

Ed Hansberry
02-18-2005, 04:15 AM
If you want a translation that is modern but true to the original text, Holmans Christian Standard Bible is awesome. I switched to it from the NIV last year.

If you want more of a paraphrase, the New Living Tanslation is pretty good and easy to understand. If you want a total paraphrase, "The Message" is excellent. The paper version doesn't have verse numbers. It reads like a novel.

You can get all of these at www.laridian.com and the software allows you to turn verse numbers on in The Message.

As for a simple commentary, check out the Life Application Bible Study Notes. Short thoughts on every topic in the Bible. Review at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,9485
You can try all of these out at www.biblegateway.org and check out Matt 5:3 in The Message. That verse was never clearer to me. :)

Craig Horlacher
02-18-2005, 04:21 AM
I asked them about that and I don't think I got a definate answer but I do think they implied they're working on vga support.

It does work fine with with out sharp text or other high res interface options. It also works great with SE_VGA but restarting is such a pain I don't use that a lot since a number of apps and especially games don't work with it.

Another request I keep bugging them about is Bible maps!!! They've got a chinese menu of great translations and references (*many* of which I'm very thankful to have) but *none* of them have any graphics or maps...strangly many of the books do include an image of the cover/logo of the book proving that their reader can display images. I send them an email begging for maps every 6 months or so but alas, nothing yet. Oh well...I guess God is tring to teach me patience:)

Craig Horlacher
02-18-2005, 04:29 AM
If you want a translation that is modern but true to the original text, Holmans Christian Standard Bible is awesome. I switched to it from the NIV last year.

I never heard of it before! It looks great! Thanks Ed! I'm afraid I'll have to buy it!!!
Here are the two selling points for me:
1) "...that is clear and understandable without being over-simplified, paraphrased, or held captive to cultural trends."
2) Capitolized pronouns for God! - I don't know what the NIV people were thinking, I'm glad these people got it right.

darthbane2k
02-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions - will review all of them when I get the opportunity. I did however install the MESSAGE simplified bible yesterday - is this version not an adequate one of the word?

Craig Horlacher
02-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions - will review all of them when I get the opportunity. I did however install the MESSAGE simplified bible yesterday - is this version not an adequate one of the word?
I have the Message too. It's a great translation to read to a large group. It's extremely paraphased so it's usually not the only version you want around in a Bible study.

Also, it sounded like you were looking for more
reference or comentary content. The version of the Message for PocketBible has intro text for each book which is nice but it's not really a full set of study notes.

Does your version let you turn on verse numbers?

You may want to try the New Living if you're looking for a good, easy reading version. Also, if it's available for your reader, try the Holman Christian Standard version - as Ed mentioned. I hadn't head of it before and I'm very impressed with it.

Ed Hansberry
02-18-2005, 01:38 PM

I never heard of it before! It looks great! Thanks Ed! I'm afraid I'll have to buy it!!!
It is a great translation. You can read more about it at http://www.bible-researcher.com/versions.html along with all other versions available in English.