View Full Version : Application Launches on Every Startup

rjkarp
02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi,
I am having problems with an application -- eWallet -- that once installed is now launching everytime I "power-on," I've uninstalled the app, but this process keeps running and a window pops up and says it can find the .exe file to launch the app. This happens everytime the screen goes on and off.

Can anyone help me remove this offending file/path?

Is there something like a Windows "startup" folder/path in Pocket PC that is causing this app to launch on its own?

Thanks in advance.

applejosh
02-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Look in \Windows\Startup for an ewallet type file (by which I mean an .exe that looks like it belongs to eWallet). Some of the files in this directory are actually necessary, so be careful which one you delete. I don't know if the files in this directory are run every time you hit the power button or every time you reset, but when you reset, it might launch a background process that does what you are seeing. Just guessing, though. I didn't see this behavior when I demo'ed eWallet.

Menneisyys
02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi,
I am having problems with an application -- eWallet -- that once installed is now launching everytime I "power-on," I've uninstalled the app, but this process keeps running and a window pops up and says it can find the .exe file to launch the app. This happens everytime the screen goes on and off.

Can anyone help me remove this offending file/path?

Is there something like a Windows "startup" folder/path in Pocket PC that is causing this app to launch on its own?

Thanks in advance.

Problems like this come from invalid (upon uninstall, non-removed) entries in the DB_notify_events WinCE database. You can correct this by hand (if reinstalling & uninstalling Freewallet doesn't cure it):

1, get Pocket dbExplorer from http://www.phatware.com/hpcdbex.html
2, install and run
3, go to DB_notify_events
4, go to the last entry of the list on the lower half of the screen - the 2nd "TEXT" entry. You'll see the EXE name in the upper half of the screen.
5, press the right arrow until you see a link to eWallet.exe (or something containing the word 'Wallet').
6, press AT THIS RECORD the Delete button.

Menneisyys
02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know if the files in this directory are run every time you hit the power button or every time you reset, but when you reset, it might launch a background process that does what you are seeing. Just guessing, though. I didn't see this behavior when I demo'ed eWallet.

These files are only executed after a reset. After a simple power-on, only the DB_notify_events database is checked by the operating system to send a wake-up signal to subscribed programs/apps.

rjkarp
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help. It worked. I appreciate it.

Menneisyys
02-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Please report the success/failure of what has been described.

Sven Johannsen
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
This is a known problem with e-Wallet. What happens is that you leave the program running by just 'closing' it with the X. The program is designed to shut itself off after a period of time, for security. You don't want somebody finding your PPC to be able to get into your wallet because you left it open. When it does tries to do this while the PPC is in slumber. it seems to loose some info, and tries to complete the process when you turn it back on. That's the message source.

The workaround was to completely close eWallet, but there seems to be an update that addresses this now

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ew_suptk3.htm

rjkarp
02-16-2005, 07:56 PM
This is a known problem with e-Wallet. What happens is that you leave the program running by just 'closing' it with the X. The program is designed to shut itself off after a period of time, for security. You don't want somebody finding your PPC to be able to get into your wallet because you left it open. When it does tries to do this while the PPC is in slumber. it seems to loose some info, and tries to complete the process when you turn it back on. That's the message source.

The workaround was to completely close eWallet, but there seems to be an update that addresses this now

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ew_suptk3.htm

eWallet pointed me to this fix, but it wasn't exactly what was causing the problem. I never installed on a storage card, and it was happening even AFTER an uninstall.

I was able to clean up the lingering process using DBExplorer as described above.

I am going to re-install eWallet and see if I run into same problem.

Thanks all.

Rich

Sven Johannsen
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I understand this wasn't your problem, but did you install to a File Store or Built in Storage (internal ROM). It has pretty much the same issues that a flash card has.