View Full Version : Help With ActiveSync

tonyberry
02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey everybody, Lets see who is on their toes....

I have a PPC 4155 w Wi-Fi&BT. I have Active Sync 3.8 installed at home and at work. I have been using and working with PPC's for about 3 years now. But i never came into this situation till now.

My Question is:

I want to sync my home, e-mail, calendar, files etc. AND my work e-mail, calendar, files etc to the same device. Does anybody know how to seperate the 2 or orginize the different data so i can check my schedule at work and e-mail when im at home.

Now here is the kicker, i have Cox high speed at home and yor basic e-mail through POP3 & SMTP, however, at my job, as the IT Admin we are using Exchanger Server 2003.

How can i sync to the exchange server and home stuff...

Does anybody know what i am trying to do..

Please help...

Thanks In Advance

Tony

PDANEWBIE
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
You can do it but it takes alot of work - In outlook you need to use catergories for tasks and for calendar items. At home setup a catergory I.E. Home. At Work setup another catergory I.E. Work. With each item you create asign it that created catergory. At home you need to set activesync to synchronize Home caterogry only at work you need to set activesync to syncronize a Work catergory.

Email is a totally different ballgame. the only way I have found to do this is to syncronize seperate folders within inbox. Again have 1 for work and one for Home and then select which ones you want to have it sync.

The biggest pain in this process that I have experienced is having to set each item created in outlook to a different catergory. Since I never use catergories (on a daily basis) I have found its a pain to have to select a catergory each time I create something something.

I have tried asking around as a way to make 1 client make a default caterogry of Work and my home make a default of Home with everything made but I can't seem to find any way to force that.

Also note ALL of this item will be merged into 1 spot on the PPC you cannot have 2 "profiles" or anything like that to keep it 100% seperate.

Hope this helps.

MacBriar
02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
I think I understand what you are getting at.

When our systems manager was off at school and I was filling in for him (in addition to teaching and looking after the intranet+website - but hey that's another story) I experimented with a 2003 server box which had share point services installed, this allow us in a 3-4 user trial to share outlook calendars etc without using Exchange. When I was running this on Outlook on my tablet, I was able to view my personal calendar alongside my work calendar and move items around. I never looked into synching this with my PocketPC but it might be possible.

Hope this is of some help/gives you an idea to follow down. Best thing is that SharePoint Services is a free download from Microsoft (not to be confused with SharePoint Portal server which offers more advanced functions).

MacBriar

Sven Johannsen
02-16-2005, 03:27 AM
I hate to say it but it is going to be easier to get a second 4155 and velcro them together back to back.

All the gyrations folks are mentioning about categorizing things is about the only thing that works with PIM info, but it is fraught with peril. Forget a category and your data winds up everywhere, or nowhere. Also it limits you to pretty much having those two categories. Add any more an it becomes a nightmare trying to manage what combos get syncd at which location.

The Inbox thing is pretty much a non-starter. AS will only let you sync Inbox with one partner, whether you have folders or not.

PDANEWBIE
02-16-2005, 02:40 PM
No kidding SVEN? You mean even thought there is a selection for Inbox sync on my scond computer I can't use it if I tried?

I haven't due to not wanting to mix this information but I did look at the settings and it had inbox in there.

Nice bit of info to know.

I still don't understand why they don't do a "Profile" based system on the PPC (kind of like outlook profiles) that would allow you to just sync 2 and have it be 100% serperate from each other and heck they could even put in a profile switch button. They could even put a safty measure into AS that you only sync the outlook data to X profile.

I doubt it would be hard and I am sure a TON of people would love that functionality.