View Full Version : Siemens SX66 ROM update is ready!

asdrew
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Hooray! The official Siemens ROM update is finally posted on the Siemens SX66 website. It should fix Bluetooth and other issues for us. It is a big file and will take a while to download & install.
http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,us_en_0_21774_rArNrNrNrN_prodId%3A76051,00.html

Have fun!

woodring
02-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Did you upgrade your SX66? What did it upgrade the bluetooth version to?

I've been looking at getting a PDA phone and have put it off due to the bad BlueTooth compatability.

Gil

asdrew
02-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes, I upgraded the ROM. The Bluetooth went to Build 3500. The update file was large, and took about 15 minutes to install.
That indicates to me that it was more than the bluetooth build it updated, but Siemens didn't provide an "issues resolved" summary.

I highly recommend a PDA phone. If you have been using a PDA heavily, I would not get one of the dinky phones that has PDA abilitites. The tiny screen and lack of good keyboard would not be enjoyable.

I selected the sx66 because of the large screen (although my last Clie had a bigger one) and the slide out keyboard. I like the option to use a real keyboard when I need it, but don't want it taking up real estate away from screen size. Having both bluetooth and WiFi is a great bonus.

It has been almost a week now, and my Bluetooth headset has operated flawlessly 100%. What a relief!

Chris Spera
02-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Yes, I upgraded the ROM. The Bluetooth went to Build 3500. The update file was large, and took about 15 minutes to install.
That indicates to me that it was more than the bluetooth build it updated, but Siemens didn't provide an "issues resolved" summary.

While it is possible and likely that more than BT was updated, when ever a ROM upgrade is released, it is likely that the update file contains the ENTIRE ROM, though most ROM's on high end machines support XIP (eXecute In Place). In the past 2 or so years that XIP ROMs have been in use, I have only seen 1 instance where an XIP update was issued and that was for the iPAQ 5400 PPC2002 EUU3 update. Since then, I haven't seen or heard of anything else that was just part of a ROM. Most ROM updates and upgrades flash the entire thing...

Hope this helps!