View Full Version : "Purchased" music and Phone Edition Device

Birdman
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
I recently purchased an album using FutureShop's (Canada) PureTracks web site. While the music downloaded onto my XP Media 10 and played no problem, when I connected my XDA Phone Edition device to the computer and tried to sync to my Storage Card, I received a sync error and the music wouldn't sync.
All music that I ripped from my own CDs worked fine, but the purchased music just wouldn't sync to the Storage Card. Is it becasue it is not a "newer" plays for sure device?

popabawa
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
To sync to a portable device it needs to be compatible with Windows Media player 10 which most Pocket PC's / Smartphones aren't.

I have the same problem with my iPAQ 2210 and C500 Smartphone, both running Windows Media Player 9.

Now, from the MSN Music store UK, I had the advice to burn a CD from my protected tracks, then to re-rip them to MP3 (thus removing the DRM) so I could transfer them to my portable device!

My preferred method is to buy from eMusic.com which has no DRM restrictions (but indie labels only, so no Britney :))

Birdman
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I figured as much. I burned the music to a CD but have not yet taken the second step of ripping that CD and then putting it on to my storage card.

I am toying with the idea of finally breaking down and getting a dedicated HD MP3 player. While I love the convenience of the all in one device and my large SD card, it is still not as good a solution as a dedicated MP3 player. The problem is, while I really do think that the ipod 20 or 40 is the best player out there (mainly because of ease of use and itunes support - please let's not start a flame), I am drawn to the considerably cheaper Dell DJ. While I like the size of the smaller 5gb units, I think I would go 20. The DJ 20, when on sale and in Canada can be found for about CDN$279, when compared to CDN$399 for the ipod.
Given the large amount of WMAs that I already have, I may just get a Dell next time it goes on sale. (Now it is $329).

I assume that "purchased music" will sync and play no problem with a DJ.