View Full Version : What do the different colors of flashing LED mean on an SPH-i700?

rocky_raher
02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I have a Samsung SPH-i700. The indicator LED sometimes flashes red or blue, and I usually have no clue why. I suspect that it flashes red when the battery drops below some threshold, and I have guessed that it flashes blue when losing or regaining cell coverage. I've read the pdf manual that Samsung supplied; it accurately points out the position of the LED indicator in the diagram "Front View of the I700," but it says nothing about what it does.

Right now, my i700 is sitting on my desk, doing nothing except flashing a blue light, and I have absolutely no idea what it's trying to tell me.

Has anyone ever published an explanation of what the LED on an i700 means?

htmc
02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
The red goes on when you place a call. I think the the blue just shows cellular coverage

Janak Parekh
02-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I have a Samsung SPH-i700. The indicator LED sometimes flashes red or blue, and I usually have no clue why.
Actually, it's also capable of flashing green. You'll notice that when you do a soft reset.

In any case, there was never official documentation on it, but I generally gathered that:

- Red flashes when the CDMA chipset turns on, initiates a call, or receives a call. One thing I liked about the initiate-a-call flash was that it essentially told me when to start holding the device up to my ear.

- Blue flashes whenever reminders or notifications fire. If you had no reminders, the most common time blue would flash is when the phone regained access to a network (i.e. when 1X appears in the Start bar). As to how long it flashes, I have no clue - it's a fair amount of time. (I think there's a way to control the reminder flashing length, but I don't remember if that affected the "regain access to network notification flash".) Additionally, if the device is on when you plug it into AC, a charging icon will appear on the Start Bar and will trigger the blue flash.

- Green only flashes at startup, and it alternates with red for a brief period of time, and I have no freaking clue why. ;)

I think I ranted on this in my now-ancient review -- they have an awesome LED in the device, but never really made good use of it. They could have used red/green for charging, for example, instead of the blue flash (although both the power supply and the cradle do admittedly do this - and that might be enough).

--janak