View Full Version : Landscape mode with an iPaq 2215 (and ultimately a question about DOOM)

Pyrrhonic
02-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone. I have a few quick questions.

Okay, I'm really confused about all this talk of landscape mode. My iPaq 2215's manual says nothing about how to switch to it. I've gathered from scouring many posts that this is because this model runs WM2003 -- not WM2003SE, and so it does not support landscape mode. What confuses me is that lots of games run automatically in landscape mode.

So, am I right to make the distinction between WM2003 and WM2003SE? Is that the reason I can't change the viewing mode on the fly? Would it be right to say that WM2003 can handle landscape mode, it just doesn't offer a user the option to activate it at their leisure? (And as a side question, is it possible to upgrade my 2215 to SE?)

I've also come across references to a program called Nyditot that evidently allows you to activate landscape mode on the fly. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Finally, to bring this all down to a very practical application: what I'm trying to do is to get gfdoom (http://home.freeuk.com/gamefreaks/pql/gfDoom.htm) to play in landscape mode. I also would like to get rid of the UI at the bottom. So, can anyone tell me if there is any built-in functionality in gfdoom to do these two things? Or do I have to resort to Nyditot?

One last question: can anyone suggest a better Doom port than gfdoom that I COULD play in fullscreen landscape mode?

Darius Wey
02-11-2005, 02:01 AM
So, am I right to make the distinction between WM2003 and WM2003SE? Is that the reason I can't change the viewing mode on the fly? Would it be right to say that WM2003 can handle landscape mode, it just doesn't offer a user the option to activate it at their leisure? (And as a side question, is it possible to upgrade my 2215 to SE?)

WM2003's support for landscape is more like pseudo-support. Not all parts of the OS natively support landscape mode, but WM2003SE changed all that. So if you got your hands on Nyditot (which is a suitable application for WM2003 users looking to get some sort of landscape user modes), not all parts of the OS would accommodate for it. It's hard to explain in words, but grab a trial version and you can see for yourself. Most of the included applications such as Pocket Word, Excel, etc. do support it, but other things such as the password screen (on startup) do not. So while WM2003 can handle landscape (to an extent), it doesn't really do a good job at it. Also, unless HP offer an upgrade to WM2003SE, you won't be able to upgrade your particular unit to it.

Menneisyys
02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I think the creators of the DOOM port have chosen the restricted, small-screen-size portrait mode (with a big GUI) over the lendscape mode on purpose - it was the only way to keep the frame rate on a tolerable level. In a full-screen landscape mode, without other (static) GUI elements on the screen, the game would be even slower.

PDANEWBIE
02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
The 2215 will not ever see the light of WM2003SE from all accounts I have heard.

The games that run in landscape mode are thus programmed to be top on the left side of the screen and left side at the bottom of the screen. Basically you have a whole application that has been coded sideways. I really don't think OS change to landscape would affect that game the way its configured to run.

As was stated about doom I think you would have to completely work on the gfdoom in order to get this to work as your suggesting.