View Full Version : Microsoft Voice Command ???

jordanpw
02-10-2005, 05:23 AM
Anyone used this yet? I'm interested, but wondering whether it chews up battery life and whether it's worhwhile on an Axim with no phone capability.

Any comments much appreciated ....

Jon Westfall
02-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Welcome to PPCT...

I've been using it since it came out.... In Fall 2003...

Personally the most use I get out of it is with the phone functions. The only other time I've used it is while driving to open Audible player or a GPS program. On devices I've had that lack phone capabilities, I don't even bother to install it most of the time - I just map a key for audible or GPS...

Its a good program though, and doesn't use up any more battery than any other program on your pocket pc. It just might not be too useful for you unless you do a lot of driving and want your schedule read to you or you want to advance tracks in media player.

Jon.

g0097
02-10-2005, 06:01 AM
I would not use my pocket pc phone without it but I really would not see it being necessary for just a pda. Like Jon mentioned, you can have it read your calender to you or perhaps play and switch music tracks for you, but its most helpful for me when I need to dial someone on my pocket pc phone. I just say their name or just say dial and say the number. I have yet to use the keypad to dial a number on my pocket pc thanks to that handy program.

jordanpw
02-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was figuring - i.e. limited use if no phone capability - but we're supposed to be trialing a PDA / Phone combo device at work soon, so may look at it again then ...

Sven Johannsen
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Remember that you have to hit a button to initiate Voice Command 'listening'. So switching tracks doesn't seem like much of a savings. Now if you are wanting to play a specific artist or album, OK. Same goes with launching most programs. Sure you can start it, but most of the time, then you have to poke the screen to do anything else.

Phone support though, yea, that's useful.