View Full Version : Napster's new system

DerekAbney
02-08-2005, 10:56 PM
What do people around here think of the new system Napster is advertising as a competitor to iTunes? I'm just curious.

OSUKid7
02-08-2005, 11:01 PM
If you already know about Napster, it makes sense. I've heard others say it took them the full commercial time to understand what they meant.

DerekAbney
02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
It makes sense to me. I'm just wondering what kind of affect people think it will have on the market. Do people think it will be popular?

Copter
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Is this the monthly fee for music thing advertised duringt he superbowl? Please explain more...

DerekAbney
02-08-2005, 11:56 PM
It was advertised during the Super Bowl, yes. From what I understand, you pay $14.95/month for unlimited music downloads. I would definitely save money by doing this, considering I've loaded so much stuff onto my iPod.

Sven Johannsen
02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
It was advertised during the Super Bowl, yes. From what I understand, you pay $14.95/month for unlimited music downloads. I would definitely save money by doing this, considering I've loaded so much stuff onto my iPod.

And it is DRM protected and you can continue to listen on supported players as long as you continue to subscribe. I would expect that it requires periodic internet access to update the DRM 'keys', as your ability to listien to downloaded tracks should go away if you quit paying. I don't think you will be listening to this on your iPOD. Don't think it is supported. It goes along with MSs Music for Sure initiative.

I think it is propably a decent concept for anyone who likes to listen on a portable player, or has their music system setup to play off the PC (with MP10) and buys more than one CD a month on average.

I'd be interested in seeing if you can burn an audio CD off of the downloads to play in your car, or to re-rip to an un-supported player.

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm a Napster subscriber, and I've been fairly happy with it. The only problem is if I stop paying for the service, I lose all my songs (that I haven't purchased). Not a big deal though, since I'd either buy the traks or subscribe to another unlimited-music service.

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd be interested in seeing if you can burn an audio CD off of the downloads to play in your car, or to re-rip to an un-supported player.
If you own the track, you can. The Napster subscription lets you download and play any tracks, but to transfer them to a mobile device or burn them on a CD, you must actually buy the tracks. Alternatively, Napster2Go lets you sync songs with supported audio devices without buying them.

DerekAbney
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
So, you would actually be paying a monthly fee and however much it is to buy the tracks? So, really you end up paying twice?

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 04:23 PM
So, you would actually be paying a monthly fee and however much it is to buy the tracks? So, really you end up paying twice?
Only if you want to burn the tracks to CDs or transfer to another device. If you just want to listen on your computers, the subscription provides unlimited downloads.

DerekAbney
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Doesn't Napster have a handheld device similar to the iPod now? Would you have to pay to put them on there?

dorelse
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm certainly no iPod junkie, but I don't get the Napster model at all. So...I subscribe to their service ($180/yr, $15/mo). Decide I want to quit the monthy service, I then have to BUY all the music I already paid for...or continue paying $180/yr for the rest of my life...and I'm sure that $15/mo will never increase either. :roll:

Napster's fuzzy math was pretty funny as well.

I suppose it really depends on if you never want to own any music on a permanent basis again, which I do...so thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with the pay as you go model, which so far has been 'free' iTunes songs from good ole Pepsi.

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Doesn't Napster have a handheld device similar to the iPod now? Would you have to pay to put them on there?
Yes, I'm pretty sure it works the same way as other devices.
If you own the track, you can. The Napster subscription lets you download and play any tracks, but to transfer them to a mobile device or burn them on a CD, you must actually buy the tracks. Alternatively, Napster2Go lets you sync songs with supported audio devices without buying them.

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I suppose it really depends on if you never want to own any music on a permanent basis again, which I do...so thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with the pay as you go model, which so far has been 'free' iTunes songs from good ole Pepsi.
Eh, I'm not saying I love the subscription model, but if you like iTunes because you can just pay-as-you-go, why don't you do the same thing with Napster? You don't have to subscribe to Napster. That's just an option. If you just want to buy tracks one-by-one, you can do that as well.

DerekAbney
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm just sort of curious about Napster's system and what it all entails. I'll probably stick with what I got, but I still want to know about what Napster is doing.

Copter
02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I haven't been too happy with iTUNEs and probably wouldn't be happy with Napster then. I like to b e able to move my music. CD, Stereo, Portbale, Computer, etc... iTUNEs has there 5 computer limit which is alright but still just a hassle when I can just go buy the CD.

So what Napster is really doing is creating a quasi-satellite radio competitor that you pay per month and get exactly what you want. In that perspective it seems cool.

OSUKid7
02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I haven't been too happy with iTUNEs and probably wouldn't be happy with Napster then. I like to b e able to move my music. CD, Stereo, Portbale, Computer, etc... iTUNEs has there 5 computer limit which is alright but still just a hassle when I can just go buy the CD.

So what Napster is really doing is creating a quasi-satellite radio competitor that you pay per month and get exactly what you want. In that perspective it seems cool.
Only if you subscribe! Napster can be the same as iTunes (I think the restrictions on the number of computers, burns, and transfers are slightly different, can't remember), where you buy a song for $0.99 and actually own the song forever. How is that any different than iTunes?

JimPAQ
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I downloaded and installed Napster the other day, but I couldn't get it work like iTunes (which is what I wanted). After the install I had to choose between a 9.95 / month and the 14.95 / month unlimited options. They did not offer a "pay as you go" option. Also, if you cancel the registration process, the force you to register before you can use the application to browse or purchase songs, which requires you to choose one of the options above.

I really liked the application though; it had a very nice interface and seemed easy to use. I just don't want to pay 9.95 since I would only buy maybe two or three songs a month.

-Jim

OSUKid7
02-10-2005, 03:00 AM
I downloaded and installed Napster the other day, but I couldn't get it work like iTunes (which is what I wanted). After the install I had to choose between a 9.95 / month and the 14.95 / month unlimited options. They did not offer a "pay as you go" option. Also, if you cancel the registration process, the force you to register before you can use the application to browse or purchase songs, which requires you to choose one of the options above.
Hmm...It's been awhile since I signed up, but you do have to register an account. That doesn't mean you have to sign up for the subscription though. I'm sure they'll push the subscription plans, but I didn't subscribe for several months, and I purchassed songs fine.