View Full Version : Where Do You Download Windows MP 9 for PPC?

skidoomxz
02-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm trying to play my napster files on my ppc (arghhh!!! what a pain in the a**) Anyways, I heard that WMP 9 will solve my napster woes. But Ive looked all over the Microshaft website and I cant find it. Does anyone have a link to download it they could post?
-Thanks

ADBrown
02-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm trying to play my napster files on my ppc (arghhh!!! what a pain in the a**) Anyways, I heard that WMP 9 will solve my napster woes. But Ive looked all over the Microshaft website and I cant find it. Does anyone have a link to download it they could post?
-Thanks

I don't think WMP9 will help you. If I recall, to play Napster files you need WMP 10. And that you can't download, it has to come with your PocketPC or built into a ROM update. The only ones that have it right now are the Axims and I believe the iPaq 3000 series.

mattp
02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I play my purchased Napster files on ppc WMP 9 with no problems. Not sure where to download it, though. . .

ADBrown
02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I play my purchased Napster files on ppc WMP 9 with no problems. Not sure where to download it, though. . .

Must have been some other idiotic DRM thing I was thinking of.

mattp
02-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah, you bring up a good point, Mr. Brown, because I assumed we were talking about purchased tracks.

There's a similar post here expanding on the topic a bit. I know the purchased tracks are OK on WMP9. Maybe you need WMP10 to play files from the Napster subscription, but I don't know, because I don't subscribe.

Nonetheless, even with purchased tracks, you have to transfer through the PC . . . speaking of idiotic DRM things . . .

Janak Parekh
02-12-2005, 05:47 AM
I don't think WMP9 will help you. If I recall, to play Napster files you need WMP 10.
Not quite true. WMP10 introduced Janus DRM, which allows you to download music to a Windows Mobile device through a subscription model.

Anyway, WMP9 is also non-downloadable. :( If your device doesn't have it in memory and there is no ROM update available for your device, the OEM decided not to offer it. In that case, the best workaround is to burn the tracks to CD and rerip them without the DRM.

--janak

Hrun
02-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Don't know if this is any use but if you look on hp.com for update options for the rx3715 I am pretty sure WM10 was one of them.

HTH Giles

Wiggster
02-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Don't know if this is any use but if you look on hp.com for update options for the rx3715 I am pretty sure WM10 was one of them.

HTH Giles

But since he doesn't have a rx3715, that's kinda useless :|

Hrun
02-12-2005, 08:34 PM
That is why I am a pocket pc pupil.

It didn't say which ppc it was required for and I thought the info may be of use to someone who could extract the bits they needed. If not, no harm done.

Giles

Janak Parekh
02-12-2005, 09:27 PM
It didn't say which ppc it was required for and I thought the info may be of use to someone who could extract the bits they needed.
Unfortunately, ROM updates don't work that way. They're only targeted to specific devices, and you can't extract programs from them to be used in others.

--janak