View Full Version : What Pocket PC to buy??! Willing to spend a max of 650$

Pyrobon
02-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Well i got this money under the most unfortunate events, but decided to do something productive with it! Something i always wanted! TO BUY A PDA!! :lol: Yes...to this point it looked pretty fun, but then it happened, the nightmare, the horror: Deciding which one to buy.
I went into a irc chatroom in efnet called: #pocketpc and a friend called Dirkchen_ recommended me either a dell x50v or a hp hx4700
When comparing those, well i was even more confused, so he suggest me this link.
I think i should post my needs:

1. Gaming. I am a gamer, i'll get this year into university to study...guess what? Programming for games. I love games, i play games, i'll make games...conclusion: A pocket pc that run the latest or games with more requirements (in terms of pocket pcs of course) is my first need
2. Windows 2003. I think all of the latest high-end pocket pcs have them, but i have to put it anyway.
3. MP3s. i love to hear music all day long, it helps me keep going on and...is fun!.
4. Basic business: I am bout' to open a food shop and this would help me. But someone told me i shouldn't worry about this, any VGA PDA is good for life management :p
5. Camera availability: The posibility of buying a camera accesory for pluging it later to the pda. if the pda have a camera already, better, but i think its hard that it have all the previous requirements plus that.
6. A good file storage! I guess this doesn't matter much if the pda have a good expandability, but ...still i don't want to be buying it stuff always! O_O
7. WIFI , Blue tooth 1.2 and i.r pot

You guys tell me whats the best for me :) after reading my priorities.
I wanted the pda to have USB host (since as you readt, i am abit of a power gamer) but i guess this won't be possible with the bests pdas. Oh well ...
Please help me! I am new to the pocket pcs world!

Menneisyys
02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
OT: greetings from #pocketpc ;) We've just spoken.

ON:

some useful links:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37378
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630

Menneisyys
02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
1. Gaming. I am a gamer, i'll get this year into university to study...guess what? Programming for games. I love games, i play games, i'll make games...conclusion: A pocket pc that run the latest or games with more requirements (in terms of pocket pcs of course) is my first need

You'll most probably need a gamepad, then, although the Dell Axim x50v has a pretty good cursor block for gaming. The Pocket Loox 720 IMHO (I'm a PL720 user) doesn't have a gamer-friendly cursor block. Furthermore, forget the hx4700 if you want to use built-in cursor movement because of its touchpad (read: useless for gaming).

2. Windows 2003. I think all of the latest high-end pocket pcs have them, but i have to put it anyway.

They all have the latest WM2003SE.

3. MP3s. i love to hear music all day long, it helps me keep going on and...is fun!.

All Pocket PC's are capable of this.

4. Basic business: I am bout' to open a food shop and this would help me. But someone told me i shouldn't worry about this, any VGA PDA is good for life management :p

Even a low-end QVGA machine is good for this. A VGA device is much better at rendering pages with tons of info (e.g., Excel spreadsheets).

5. Camera availability: The posibility of buying a camera accesory for pluging it later to the pda. if the pda have a camera already, better, but i think its hard that it have all the previous requirements plus that.

Currently, there're no hi-end (VGA) PDA's with decent built-in cameras. The Pocket Loox 720 camera is cr@p, and the Asus a730(w) camera isn't much better either. You'll need to get either a decent SDIO camera (e.g., the Veo Photo Traveler 130S) or, preferably, an ultra-compact standalone digicam (the Casio Exilim/Canon Digital Ixus series; or, if you want a budget, but prettty good camera, the HP R707).

6. A good file storage! I guess this doesn't matter much if the pda have a good expandability, but ...still i don't want to be buying it stuff always! O_O

All hi-end PDA's have double (CF & SD) slots. PDA's with USB host capability, in addition, can use external HDD's for storing data. And, you can always use Wi-Fi-enabled external hard disks too.

7. WIFI , Blue tooth 1.2 and i.r pot

Detto. It should be pointed out, however, that Version 1.1 BT doesn't necessarily mean inability to co-exist with Wi-Fi. For example, the Asus a730W "only" has Version 1.1 BT; still, you can use the Wi-Fi and the BT at the same time. (It's very often that I use the two wireless technologies at the same time - typing on my BT keyboard over a Wi-Fi connection - so I consider this essential.)

You guys tell me whats the best for me :) after reading my priorities.
I wanted the pda to have USB host (since as you readt, i am abit of a power gamer) but i guess this won't be possible with the bests pdas. Oh well ...

There're no 'best' PDA's. All the three (four) USB host-enabled VGA devices (every VGA device except for the x50v and the hx4700) have USB host.

As a rule of thumb: all VGA PDA's have unmatched strengths. You have to decide yourself which features you want and, therefore, which PDA to get. It took me over 2 months to decide for the Pocket Loox 720, it was so hard a decision.

ADBrown
02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
For gaming, and particularly for game development, I recommend the Dell Axim X50v. It has the best graphics performance (with tweaking) of a VGA PocketPC, and it has a 3d accelerator chip that allows for real 3D rendered games.

For USB Host and a camera (albeit not a great camera) as well as a little more battery power, you should look at the Fujitsu Loox 720.

surur
02-08-2005, 07:37 PM
For gaming, and particularly for game development, I recommend the Dell Axim X50v. It has the best graphics performance (with tweaking) of a VGA PocketPC, and it has a 3d accelerator chip that allows for real 3D rendered games.

For USB Host and a camera (albeit not a great camera) as well as a little more battery power, you should look at the Fujitsu Loox 720.

What he said :)

Of interest is that you can connect a USB gamepad to the Loox, not available on the other big two (HP and Dell). However you put games at the top of your list, which I think means you need a Dell. There has been some games released only for the Dell, and they have amazing graphic performance.

Surur

Pyrobon
02-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Thank you everybody for your kind answers! I decided the best for me is a DELL x50V with an entended battery :) Thats what i'll get.