View Full Version : pocketDVD question - what exactly do i need?

zilla31
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
i have a quick question about pocketDVD: what "other" softwares do i need to make it work? i have it working after i installed a trial version of intervideo winDVD, but when that runs out, will i still be able to decode/encode (not sure which one applies here) with the free "interActual player" that came w/ pocketDVD?

i guess i'm trying to make sure i can buy JUST the pocketDVD software and not have to shell out for winDVD too :)

xxpinballxx
02-07-2005, 08:01 PM
From what I know the Betaplayer is still free and works great on my smartphone and i am hearing it to be the same on PPC.

I still am wating on my Axim x50v but I would imagine only the PocketDVD if its just a program to convert so they play on the PPC.
I bought DVD to PocketPC which is the same as my DVD to smartphone but only for the PPC. Its easy as can be and works perfect if you ask me.

zilla31
02-07-2005, 08:08 PM
yeah when i first installed pocketDVD - it wouldn't work because there was no "encoder" or "decoder" (can't remember which) installed - and thus the movie wouldn't play in the preview window. i installed winDVD (trial) and then it worked fine... but i don't want to have to BUY winDVD. am i doing something wrong here?

yankeejeep
02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I use WinDVD since it came bundled with my notebook. Have you tried removing WinDVD from your PC to see if the Interactual Player will do the job for you? You can always reinstall the WinDVD if it doesn't and then you'll have your answer.

Mitchybums
02-08-2005, 01:14 AM
if youa re talking about the new PocketDVD program, it should work straight out of the box for DIVX. For wmv it needs the windows media encoder program to be installed though.

there is some info on needs on here:

http://www.pocketdvd.ca/links.htm

I do have PowerDVD installed though, so it might be that it needs some form of dvd player installed on the computer.

xxpinballxx
02-08-2005, 03:35 AM
The free version of betaplayer will play divx no problem along with several other formats plus its a simple player.

yankeejeep
02-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I do have PowerDVD installed though, so it might be that it needs some form of dvd player installed on the computer.
I think the question is about what may be required on the PC end since the DVD data must be sent from the PC to the PPC. I don't know if the desktop involved requires more than the Interactual Player. The way to find out is to try it and see.

mat master
02-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Pocket dvd what does that do??

zilla31
02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
ok yeah i tried uninstalling my trial of winDVD and now pocket DVD tells me that "it seems there is no DVD playing software installed (winDVD, powerDVD, etc.), please install some to continue". so i guess you do need it. i DO have something installed that will play DVD's though - WMP. anyone see a way around this for me w/o my having to buy a dvd player software???

zilla31
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
ps - mat master - pocket DVD is supposed to let me convert my DVDs to a format that can be read (viewed) by betaplayer on my PPC - on the plane for example :)

once you get it going it really is easy... i just don't want to fork out for a dvd software player (most people have it for free if the have a DVD player on their computer so my situation is pretty unique).

yankeejeep
02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Obviously the provided Interactual Player does not provide a decoder if you have installed it without WinDVD and are getting the error message. WinDVD is one of the common options bundled with PCs that have DVD drives to act as the software decoder. You could check the PC World and/or PC Magazine sites as they both allow you to search through software libraries and you might actually find a freeware DVD program. Other than that, you will need to bite the bullet to get your DVDs to run for transfer to your device.

zilla31
02-09-2005, 06:24 PM
see the thing is they DO run in WMP no problem. that's how i'd watch one on my laptop if i wanted to... but i guess that's still lacking for some reason.